Giving in a little?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone given in a little to get a contract or do you stick to your guns? I have a proberty that I have been doing for the last few years and I had to bid it again this year. They think my bid was a little high it's around $1000 a time just to mow,trim and edge. I'm thinking of giving them bed maintance for free. If I do this I will for sure get the contract with no hard feelings. The beds are pretty small I can probably re-mulch and weed in a day to a day and a half by myself. I don't think that giving them free bed maintance is too bad since I should make up for it on mowing. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

2. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I've thrown in freebe from time to time, and it seems to work for me. You are the only one who knows for sure in your case: your work load, if you want this account long term and other things. I'm bidding a fair size commercial account soon, I also have an inside track there, but I'm throwing in some weed mowing to keep the place looking good on an as-needed basis. It will cost me about 6 hours over the summer mowing season. I also want this contract long term. We'll see what happens in the spring.

Paul

3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

You need to read the post about the 3 contractors at Disneyland. It may give you an ideal or two.

Basically the first contractor bid the job at $800.00, the second one bid $700.00 and the third bid $2700.00 and got the job. He gave the property manager $1000.00 he took a $1000 and then hired the second contractor to do the work.

[Edited by parkwest on 01-16-2001 at 07:19 PM]

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have the feeling that you are overcharging? If you do good work and they are happy, they should stay with you. Didn't they think it was high the first year? Or, have you been increasing each year. Why not sign them for a multi year contract. $1000/cut, wow nice contract! Do you cut any other lawns this big? This looks to be a multi-day operation/week right? Not to be a smart a$$, "proberty" is spelled property. If you are making spelling errors on your proposals, that may not look as professional as your work is. Good Luck, and dont give ANYTHING away.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Green acers how big is this account? And how long does it take to cut,trim,and blow, 1000 a pop, just curious-Marks Mowing Service

6. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I can't spell very good. I have spell check when I make my proposals. It usually takes me and one helper 1 to 1 1/2 days to do or about 10-15 hrs, just depending on the time of year. Also the land is pretty rough and has some very steep slopes that is even hard to walk on. I have been increasing it over the years and they added a few more places to mow this year. That's why they think I'm a little high. Over-all I think there happy with my services never recieved any complaints from the property manager. Hope this answers any questions you might have.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Green Acres,

Sorry to bust on your spelling! However, 15 hrs times two people is equal to approx 30 man-hours at my minimum of $48/hr is equal to almost $1500 per operation. They are getting a deal. Unless your mowing with two 21" push mowers, you are working too cheap. They shouldn't complain. Explain to them your overhead (equipment, labor, insurance, fuel, etc) but never let them know the $48/hr rate. Still don't give away any freebies. Frisbees...YES...Freebies....No!!!

Good Luck

8. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Do what your area pricing dictates. If you are making money off them and can still make good money with the freebies do it. If you will not make good money don't do it. Personally, I have a set hourly rate and when bidding I overbid so that I can through in the freebies and they think they're getting something extra when actually, they are not.