1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Giving pre-season discounts.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of giving a 10% discount to new customers if they schedule there lawn and landscape needs now. That way I would have an idea of how much work I will have this spring and could do scheduling now and get all the supplies around and ready and get any new tools if I need them. Also I wouldn't have to compete against three or four other bids to get the job. Just wanted to see what everyone thought or if anyone has done anything like this.
  2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We don't discount landscape jobs, but we do offer a 5% seasonal pre-pay discount for lawn maintenance contracts. If we send out contracts out in February/March we expect full payment by April for the total amount of the contract minus 5%, plus sales tax. I think that 10% is too generous. We tried it at first, about 4 years ago, and there was really no difference between the customers who took it for 5% versus 10%.

Before you consider discounts, make sure you get signed contracts for the work. I really don't know how you could discount landscaping work now, not knowing availabilty or prices of material. It would be quite dangerous to discount too much work, so I advise being cautious.
  3. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

I use a 10% disc. on the spring clean-up only. This is the time when I can use the cash the most. I also raised all my prices again this year first. Use contracts.