giving up carrying the spreader with me

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by James Cormier, Feb 22, 2008.

1. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Im giving up carrying the spreader with me. Mainly because I really like using the PG rack of the back of the pick up. And with a short bed truck its really a pain in the butt to carry the Lesco spreader.

So I decided to try and use the belly grinder type spreader. I have no experience with these things at all. What type are you all using and how hard is it to do a uniform app?

Ive also been thinking of having my welder make a carrying rack that mounts to the plow frame up front and carry some misc items on that. Anyone have any photo's of racks mounted in front?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen plenty of guys mount a spreader carrier to the front of the truck. They usually just use a class 2 hitch (I think) and then put a spreader carrier in it and away they go. I am thinking of doing the same thing b/c with the pg carrier it is a pain to get the push spreader out of the truck bed.

The belly or monkey grinders are great. We use the old Scott's version with the piece that rests on your forearm. That and a piece of duct tape over the logo and they are great for small properties and that strip b/t the road and sidewalk.

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Jim, (finally a little sanity at lawnsite) hows things?
    I use one of them grinder type spreaders i think its a Solo? i aint sure...its wicked old.

think it holds 25 lbs
    man that thing can throw a really wide pattern. never had any misapp using it

in regards to your other thread about the z-spray walk behind. I just ordered one. Never seen one up close. I understand they have made some modifications/adjustments to their original design. You can now get a sulkie to attach behind it as well. I ordered that as well.
    Our friend in CT told me he has a few of the walkbehinds and likes them. He did mention belt issues but looks like z-spray adressed those problems with the redesign.

Expect delivery next week. I'll let you know what I think.

AND FOR ALL THE Z-SPRAY Cheerleaders in the audience....If I dont like it I'll tell it like it is.......I'm still entitled to have an opinion. Looking out my front window...yep the American flag is flying high so I guess I still have freedom of speech!
    (sorry Jim, I'm a little ticked off from another thread)

gonna go take a nap...that always helps:)

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

James
    you are so right. It is really difficult to get the spreader off with the PG carrier on the back. Last year I used a very small mostly plastic rotary spreader. Use it for small lawns and confined areas. Light--only weighs 5 pounds and I can pick it out of pickup bed with one hand. Scotts version is about $20 at Home Depot.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

you might check dot reg on how far out and how wide on the front and light requirements.

6. James Cormier

from Ma

I keep one of these
    [​IMG]
    in the hopper of the PG. I use it for those little nooks I cant reach with the machine.

Ive used that on some back lawns I cant get the machine into but it doesn't hold quite enough. Plus I fell guilty using such a small cheap spreader on someone's lawn :laugh:

7. James Cormier

from Ma

Im doing well, just sick of winter, and been burned out of the message board/Internet thing for a little while now. Im just really sick of looking at my computer!!

When you get the z in can I come down and take a good look at it? Even though I bought a new Magnum ( Ya I know, I cant believe it either:dizzy:) I really miss walking, but I dont miss pushing a loaded spreader all day!

I bought a belly grinder a few years ago, but never really got the hang of it, It was cloth and really a pain in the ass to fill. I will start to do some searching to see what else is out there.

And yes I agree, naps make the world so much nicer!

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

What about one of these?

DSC01906.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

9. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

Amen to that. Judging by your avatar, you're prolly ready to ride too!

10. James Cormier

from Ma

Yes!

Did you make it?

How far out front does it stick out?