Giving up on my Stander...I think.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Sep 10, 2004.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I think I am about to give up and replace my 04' Stander. I have spent this entire season trying to solve the clumping problem. Multiple blade combos, RPM adjustments, deck adjustments, dry, wet, doesn't matter, etc.....still sucks........

I never had this problem with my $2400.00 Toro wb......I am truely disappointed.....

Going to look at a Quik-Trak tomorrow......

Derek

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Are you mulching? If so how about fabricating your own baffles. Are finding some that will be a close fit.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I think it has a lot to do with the weather. THis has been a real wet year, and I've had problems with clumping too. A lot of double cutting this season.

The grass is just real juicy and growing fast because of all the rain. So even on a dry day, it's still wet inside.

If you do go for the Quick Trak, keep use posted on your experiences.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

If there was a 36" quick track, that had the 7iron deck, I would be inclined to demo, but alas, Deere hasn't seen fit to bless us with one yet. It would be nice if someone would design and build a high power, excellent decked, Stand up mower that did everything right.. I too feel your pain as my Super Surfer is no different, terrible blowout, clumping, and IMO an overall underpowered machine. Come on Manufacturer's!!!! Can't you build one that WORKS!!!???

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What year is yours? And what size deck & engine on it?

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it is an 00' or 01' model, I'd have to go look.. It's not one of the old fixed deck one's if that's what you were wondering. I bought it new this year, the dealer had mine and an identical mower, (which another LS member bought) left, and was dropping GD.. (gee, I wonder why?? LOL) It's a 22hp Kohler 52" cut.. The NEW dane products have some mods to the deck.. some that I may consider constucting when I find the time.. Like blowout baffles, and this piece of metal ( that I've seen on some other mowers as well ) that goes from the right spindle to the discharge chute, probly to keep the grass from clogging there.. So far, the ONLY thing that has kept me from selling mine and taking a loss, is running double's- Hi-lifts and Raptors.. And I'm still considering tradeing it in the spring.. Time will tell. If my mods work, I'd still consider it underpowered..I want at least 27hp.

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

no I am not mulching.......that would probably be a whole lot worse......

I agree with you GOGETTER about the weather........but again....last year around here was even wetter and my 48" Toro did me proud.

Derek

8. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Last year,after hearing all the great stuff about Wright Standers,I purchased one during a promotion they were offering.I immediately traded it for a Sentar when I discovered what a hassle it was the change the blade height.This cost me an extra $1000.
    I had nothing but problems with it and ended up getting a refund after having to take it back for repairs 3 times in 2 months.I took that money, purchased a JD GX345 and couldn't be happier.
    I know several people who are very satisfied with their Wright mowers.Personally,I'm sticking with "big green" now and in the future.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

This is what I would do. I would buy a Exmark mulch kit, the kind that has threaded rod welded to it to bolt in so you can bend the kit to match the front flow baffle set up that Exmark has. For under two hundred dollars, using a tape measure, hack saw,and grinder you'll have duplicated a deck that works. The old kit they had before Exmark updated the deck will give you the left blade circle you need[95 Viking].

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

But, in Ohio, a mulch kit of any kind will only make his problem worse, trust me!