Glass breakage policy??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cathman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

So 2 years into this and i have not had an accident...until this weekend. I try to pay attention to which way i am edging (make sure the stuff is being slung in the away direction). Anyway, i was edging (with the trimmer) alongside a pool this weekend and wham, i hear something hit the house. Look over and the back door was slowly cracking into a million pieces. Looked for the object but never found it. Called up the client and explained what happend and that i would be taking care of it. No problem, other than my expense.

So, is this something thats just a part of doing business? I mean, of course i dont go trimming around rocks or areas of beds that have pebbles lined along the edge, etc. Do any of you have a contract that states not responsible for pebbles/rocks in cracks? I even tried using my edger and it somehow flug a rock (thank goodness at my house and it only hit the old beat up truck of mine). Is there something i could/should do differently? If i keep this up, i will be paying folks to maintain their places lol :cry:
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

It happens.

Just yesterday, one of my guys clipped a pane glass window with the tail end of the Walker and shattered it. I dont know what thats going to cost me, but it cost him his job, as he has been pretty reckless over the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately we can't back charge employees for their damages.

Last winter, a sub of mine spun his skid steer on a sidewalk infront of a boutique chocolate store and shattered a pane of glass that was treated with a film to help prevent the chocolates in the store from melting. That 4x8 pane cost him $1800.00

A pissed off tennant at a commercial building wanted us to detail his one week old Jag my guys trimmed some grass up onto a few summers ago. I gave him a coupon book to a carwash.

These are all the hidden costs of business. Budget for them.
  3. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

buy liability insurance bro, if that rock would have hit a kid, it would be over. you might as well think about paying alot of money.

go legit, i say if u cant go legit then say home, wash cars for extra money, ive seen so many accidents in this business from cut off fingers to lawn ,owers flipping to rocks going into living rooms.
  4. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

Legit all the too many of the horror stories. Anyway, problem is, deductable is higher than the cost of the window. And like i said, it's not like it was a tennis ball or golf ball or something i did see and intentionally left it there out of laziness. Best i can figure it was a pebble from the edge of their pool deck that came loose and slung. I have done the yard several times and i trim and edge each time, so theoretically it should have happened sooner.

I was just curious if anyone had anything about something like this that there is no control of.
  5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Stop with this crap. Sometimes the deductible is higher than the damage.Just be sure to get a receipt and recover some of the money by deducting it on you taxes.
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

7. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with paying the bill without using your insurance if the bill is not too crazy. Save the insurance for the bigger stuff. You never know when you may hurt a person.....which is far greater than ANY glass.
    I have paid up to $800 for a window. Every year I get audited by the Insurance Company and my rates have stayed within reality.
  8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

AMEN, I've busted two so far and neither came to the amount of my deductable. You should have insurance, but mostly for glass damage its comming out of your pocket.