Glasses or goggles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 15, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This year, I always wore safety glasses but if the truth be told, I need something more. Between the dust and the dirt, I think my eyes are taking a beating.
    So, I am thinking of getting some sort of google for next year. Anybody got any ideas?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well, for full coverage there's always the old "shop" goggles like they used in school shop classes. The big plastic goggles with the elastic strap.

You won't be the coolest looking guy on the block, but I suppose if they get the job done..........
    :cool:

But I can say that you'll want to make sure you use something that allows good ventilation. I've had a pair of wrap around sunglasses that would fog up on me all the time and had to stop using them. They fit too snug and contacted my face all the way around the edges of the glasses. There was no room for air flow.
    Switched to another style and don't have the problem anymore.

3. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

KEEP SOME EYE WASH IN YOUR TRUCK. I FLUSH MY EYES OUT A FEW TIMES A DAY AND THEY FEEL GREAT. :drinkup:

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

4. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Two weeks back while mowing, a strong cross-wind blew something into my eye through the side of my regular glasses. Before then, had no problem with just wearing glasses. Went to the doc and had four scratches on my eye (the white part). Got the goggles with the strap - they're comfortable and work great.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Time for me Mr. Safety to get on my soapboxÂ….you only get one set of eyes so do everything you can to protect them. If you need to use googles then go for it. I have a full first aid kit that I carry that does include eye flush for cleaning out you eyes. There is nothing worse then getting something stuck on you eye. I am now off of the soapbox. :cool2:

Gravely_Man

6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Look at your local motorcycle dealerships.

Most glasses made for motorcycles are contoured better than your average pair of sunglasses. They are designed to keep the wind out of the rider's eyes to prevent watering while riding and thus blurring their vision.

They will greatly reduced dust and grass blowback from creeping around the frames of the glasses while mowing.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear wrap around safey/sunglasses. Rarely get anything in my eye. I carry a small bottle of flax seed just in case. It works better than eye wash for small debris IMO.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I used to use googles becuase I wear prescription glasses and the goggles always fogged up in August especially. They aren't the most comfortable thing but I had a close call once and that was enough of a wake up call to get me to wear them.

9. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

AOSafety (same guys that make Peltor Worktunes) make several style of stylish safety glasses and the retail for less than $10 a pair. You can get them at the HomeDepot or another hardware store. I know that Tractor Supply also carries good looking safety glasses by Stanley (I think).

Also check your auto parts supplier.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

safetyglasses.com

Derek