Global Warming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Jun 24, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Seems that the wheather gets more and more extreme. Whether it be to dry in the south and too much growth in the north. Crops are suffering from drastic wheather change. Has anyone thought about the future?<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: bdemir

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We are all DOOMED!!! lol. Well we are not but your kids maybe. I remember it being mucher colder here in the winter and cooler in the summer when I was growing up in the 60s and early 70s. We use to get more snow and it stuck around longer and less slush. March was always windy and cold. Now winters are very mild for the most part. Summer the 90s are more normal. If this trend continues within 100 years there won't be any beaches. The oceans will rise up 20ft. Major cities and parts of florida will be underwater. The polar icecaps are melting at a rapid rate at this moment. These are facts whether they are caused by global warming or by the cycle of the earth or whatever. But we have a reactionary government and society for the most part. Which means &quot;why me worry til it happens&quot;. Remember Pearl harbor??? World trade center bombing? Anyway in our business we will be effected by prolonged droughts and floods and not many inbetweens. Alot of snow or no snow. Nothing will be dependable. You may not be able to tell one season from the next. In fact they say most of the country will not even have a winter. But most people will live in denial. Because facing reality would be you would have to face a major change in lifestyle.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the only way to be convinced that global warming is a real man made phenomenon is to watch the liberal biased evening news.<p>there have always been global fluctuations in ambient air temperature through the eons of geologic time. what makes this fluctuation seem more important than the others is that over the past 10,000 years we've become a species accustomed to trashing everything we touch on the entire planet.<p>is global warming real? I think no doubt.<p>are greenhouse gasses, the result of man's impact on the environment real? possibly.<p>the only thing that you can be sure of is that the next global swing in temperature, either warmer or cooler, will happen without regard to any living creature. it is simply a matter of geologic time.<p>now let me see...where are those little umbrellas for that colorful caribbean drink I just made?<p>GEO

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think if global warming ever comes that bad, we'll have bigger things to worry about that mowin lawn's!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Most scientists who have studied the phenomena agree that global warming (and cooling) is just an effect of time. Slight alterations, like Geo said, are bound to occur. At the rate they are occurring now, though, and are expected to continue, mankind will be wiped off the face of the planet by the trend in some countless millennia.<p>Not 10-15 years, as was speculated elsewhere on this Board. I remember when Ted Danson stood up on national television in the mid 80s and warned the world that if drastic measures weren't taken we'd all be dead in 10 years.<p>It didn't happen.<p>The doomsayers are just that. They get the headlines but truly belong in the same category as the Y2K and Apocalypse crowd. It's trendy. Every so often great causes of doom and gloom become fashionable. Scientists jump on the study of it for more grant money. News sources jump on the story for more air time. People jump on it to give themselves a bigger meaning to it all.<p>Relax. Wear sun screen if you're afraid of skin cancer. Get an indoors job if you're afraid of nature.<p>But don't worry so much about the planet. Mankind isn't killing it. It isn't killing mankind. We're peacefully coexisting as we have for millennia.<p>Life is good.<p>-TGC

6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I agree there will be more important things than just mowing a lawn if global warming gets worse like trying to grow large quataties of food which they are having a little trouble with right now due to the extreme frosts and floods. Its not just here its everywhere. Farmers are having a hard time with their crops.(all over the world) <p>A friend of mine told me that all kfc chickens are cloned chickens. They refer to them with a number like hd235 or something. How about that folks!!

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

No one said within the next 10 to 15 years TGC. I said within the next 100 years. Yes the majority of scientist say the earth is on its natural cycle closer to the sun. Making it get hotter. But greenhouse gases are really exasberating the situation. Speeding up the process of global warming. The hole is the ozone layer are expanding at an alarming rate. The fact that there are holes should be of great concern. The keep measuring the debt of the polar icecaps and they are shrinking. All this melted water from the poles has to go somewhere. Already a large chunk of ice the size of rhode island has broke off. It may take 100 years to prepare for this disaster in the making. Industry are paying their scientist to tell us that everything is ok so they wont have to pay the money to clean up their act to slow the process of global warming down. They say their is problably no way to stop it. Now the russians agree and offering to help cut down on the greenhouse effect. Industry scientist dont diagree with the greenhouse effect but they are saying life will be better without winter. Their will be more insects and disease and extreme weather. No more beaches. Billions will have to be spent to move development away or up out of the water and the beaches will be gone. But whatever, life is great now. I dont think you can protect yourself from the increased skin cancer risk. You start sweating and all that stuff washes off. Talked to a man today and he has to have more skin cut off and the doc told him that the sun is getting closer and closer in the cycle and thats why their is more skin cancer. As well as the ozone depletion.

8. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bdemir,there's a book that was writen about 2000 years ago that explains it all. All time best seller I think.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, Charles, someone here did say 10-15 years, though maybe not in this thread. I was disputing that first.<p>As for holes in the ozone, nobody disputes that. Fact is, however, that more and more evidence is pointing to the fact that those are natural occurences as well. The biggest holes found are over the biggest/most active volcanoes on the planet. <p>They are also self-correcting.<p>Like I said before, this is just the latest hoopla. A good reason for newscaster types, hollywood types, and bible-thumpers to get together and scream about the approaching end. A hundred years from now they'll say it's 10-15, one hundred, or three hundred years off again. They always do; they always will...<p>-TGC

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

At the SIMA meeting earlier this month we heard froma panel of weather man. They stated that global warming has been studied for a very short time,way to short to draw any conclusion.They also stated that the last 25 yr cycle has been on a warmer swing with milder winters. <br>we are now enetring a more normal cycle similar to the 1950-75 cycle that many of us remember as real winters. <br>I agree that we need to monitor the situation, but to say what we as man have done in the last 100 yrs will have a major impact on a planet that has been around for millions of years is very concieted on our part. This planet was designed/evolved( I believe in the former)to repair itself in a very short time. As long as we let it do that all will be fine. If we continue at alarming rates sometime in the future we may get to the point of a major impact, but its just to early to state conclusively if we have done that.