Gloves that last ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Dec 23, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Started taking inventory and refurbishing things for next season. I do allot of work with colored mulches and that stuff destroys good quality leather gloves. Once leather gets wet and stained I cant get them soft again and they are expensive.

I saw some rubber(or somethng like rubber) gloves at HD ..they are actually called 'snow gloves"...for general landwork/mulch what have you found works well and does not harden yet gives you some "feel" (not too bulky in the fingers)...thanks
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for pigskin gloves. Pigskin does not harden after a wetting like leather. And they are usually cheaper than leather.

I have used pigskin for 10 years, and never had to toss a single glove for shrinking or hardening. Good thing is they wear out in a while, or the ones I wear when sweating heavily would really get rank. During Jul-Aug I usually rotate 3 pairs during the day, so I have dry ones on. I wear them all the time, and usually use 4-5 pairs a season. Get a few pairs in spring at around $6 a pair.

Usually will not find them in stores. I get mine from local W. W. Grainger outlet.
    Also other online and mail order companies carry them.

I use rubber gloves when working with salts, lighter ones when working with chemicals. Rubber is very uncomfortable - hands can't breathe. Also lot less dexterity with rubber compared to pigskin. I still stoop for lost pennies, and can pick up a penny off the pavement with pigskin gloves on. LOL.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have never tried pigskin gloves but I will after your glowing comments. Sounds like they just might be better for any "wet" work that needs to be done. Thank you for the tip.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Who needs gloves?

Real men don't need gloves GarPa!!!

Get tough, wouldja? J/k and LOL. Happy Holidays to you!
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Hey Rod...ya know whats funny is that the guys I work with give me grief all the time about the fact I HATE wearing gloves and rarely my hands look like they're 200 years old!!!!
    In fact right now the skin is cracked on a couple fingers from not wearing glvoes and working in cold/wet.
    But when I do the black mulch I put the gloves on....that stuff will stain you for a week or two!!!

Thanks Grndkeeper....much appreciated...I'll order some of the piggly wigglys...good tip
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, hey... My wife loves my "Dove gentle soft" hands:D But seriously, I've been using the "mechanics gloves" series and they are great. They are 100% washable, fit very snuggly and last and last.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How much are they Pete? And where do you get them?
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

9. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

I used a couple pairs of them and they do not last for me..... I do alot of brick work though and an average pair of gloves lasts me ohhhhhh 3 days no matter the quality. that is doing brick work though....any suggestions on that? Also doing regular work they usually only last a week max.....Same as shoes until i bought a pair of catapillers. So any suggestions on gloves are greately appreciated....if you wear your boots out buy a pair of cats. there boots are like there motors..........They run forever!

Happy Holidays and LET IT SNOW!!!