gloves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, May 9, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

who wears gloves wile mowing? And if you do, what kind.I like the mechanic type or i have some ones from walmart called SUGs= Sport Utility Gloves.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i wear mechanix wear.... i swear by them because you can do engine work if needed while it is hot and not worry about anything

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i only wear earmuffs to protect my ears while edging, trimming and blowing, i dont use the muffs when cutting, and i also wear sunglass so debris does poke my eye out. only have one set of ears and one set of eyes. i rather look stupid but have my ears and nose last then look like a movie star but be deaf and blind ;) hehe, but i look badass with my sthil muffs and my shades and sthil blower on :) lol but i dont wear gloves, maybe i should?

4. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

if you guys are doing mulch,edging,cleaning under bushes,what kind of gloves are you guys wearing?i have already destroyed 2 pairs of what i thought were good heavy gloves from stihl.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Use pigskin gloves. You'll wear out any cloth glove in no time, and most leathers will get hard and shrink when wet.

Pigskin will not shrink. I keep at least 3 pairs, because it's kind of clammy working in sweaty gloves all day in Jul. & Aug. You probably won't find them in stores, because they are cheaper than other leathers. I get mine from local W W Grainger, and I've seen them in mail order catalogues.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

For the guys I just buy el cheapo gloves at Lowes or Home Depot. I think they come in a pack of 10 for about $5. They don't usually use them when they are doing just mowing, trimming, edging etc... but do use them for things like mulch, pinestraw etc... I like them because we can just throw them away after a couple of weeks and buy new ones if I need to.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

First thing I do when I step outta the truck is put my stihl sunglasses on, and my stihl hearing protectors on. I don't even load/unload the mowers without them on. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear these protectors. When I see guys wacking without eye protection, or working without hearing protection, it drives me nuts. As it is, I have ringing in my ears now anyway from not wearing the hearing protection from the start. Dumb dumb dumb. Sometimes I wear ear plugs as well.

Gloves I wear when I'm doing dirty work. Not usually when I mow or wack.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Was mowing a lawn on the JD Deisel a while back and this crazy looking lady came out from the neighbours house kinda yelling at me. I shut down the mower and say........ "Whats up?" Shes saying to me that I should be wearing ear protection. I say..... Hang on, I cant hear you as I pull the plugs out of my ears! She went red in the face and laughed. Good boy! she said as she walked away still laughing at herself! I'm back to the muff's now for a while.

Only time I wear gloves is if I'm around thorns of some type! Back when I was L/sacping, you'd get hassled for being soft if you wore gloves while shoveling etc. Once the blisters are gone the hands get as tough as nails. Why would you need gloves while mowing/trimming etc. You lot who do are soft!

Eye protection........ Always! :cool: Mako polorized glass shades. Excellent! And the make me look good!:cool: