Glow Plugs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cos, Jan 14, 2001.

1. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Are they easy to replace? Any advice on changing them? I am ready to replace them, but don't know how easy they are to do. I was told at the dealer that you have to take the valve covers off.

Any suggestions?

2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a 7.3l, then its easy as pie. I think you need a 10mm deep socket. Once you see the new glow plugs you'll be able to figure out how they are put in. The job is similar to changing spark plugs. Be sure to take out the glow plugs though, not the injectors. You'll be able to tell the difference because the injectors are connected to rigid fuel line, while the glow plugs are connected by wires which slip off so you can put the socket on them.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Harbor Freight has a glow plug removal tool in their catalog.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Awesome,

Thanks guys. I am going to replace them asap then. The dealer wanted a whoping $350 just for labor. Close to $600 altogether.

Thanks again,

Dana

5. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE LawnSite Member

GLOW PLUG ARE NOT LIKE SPARK PLUGS!!!! THEY ONLY NEED TO BE REPLACED AS NEEDED! I DONT KNOW HOW TO TEST...BUT I DO KNOW IS THAT IF ONLY ONE OUT OF 8 IS BAD THE TRUCK WILL BE HARD STARTING. YOU MIGHT SAVE SOME $ THIS WAY.. GLOW PLUGS ARE $25.00 PER PIECE

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I replaced glow plugs in a 85 6.9 @9 each-ACDelco. Plus I had to buy a deep 7/16 socket.

Get out your good ol continuity tester, pull the lead and check em before pulling them. If they are bad they will show an open circuit.

Dont forget the never-seize on the threads or the next time you replace one you will not be happy.

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

thelawnguy has it right. Glow plugs are not that expensive, but they will definitely make for hard starting. Burned up a starter with that one. No way would I pay 350 or 600 for glow plugs/installation. Check your local parts house first.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

9. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

Easiest way to check a glow plug is use a test light.Clip the lead on the + terminal,yes positive,and then touch the test light to each glow plug.If it is good the test light will glow.Make sure you are touching the small centre prong on the glow plug,and not the body of it,or it will cause the light to come on,when the glow plug may actually be bad.This is the same as using a continuity tester,just much easier.The light will come on when grounded,so when you touch a good glow plug,it has a ground,and the light comes on.

BTW -as someone mentioned previously,anti-sieze compound is a must,preferably the silver colored,or it will never come back out.

10. DIG'EM

DIG'EM Guest

Ihave a 90 model f450. It has a7.3litter in it. for about 3 weeks it has had ahard time starting. ive changed batteries no difference i think i know the problem now thanx