GLS's Equipment

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by GLS, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

How do you like your Stihl FS85's? How do you like the edger attachment?

Thanks for answering all of your questions GLS. :)

2. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

Ryan, you sure do love the green ,but I guess where you live you don,t have a whole lot of choice but to love the green. also I wonder how many of the guys out there will know why it has to do with where you live.

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

ALarsh -- The stihls have been great (especially after switching to opti-2 2-cycle oil). The stick edger works great. Plenty of power, confortable to use, doesn't clog, doesn't throw mud on pant legs, etc. No problems with it at all. We even use it to edge beds in the spring prior to mulching. We will definately be sticking with stihl 2-cycle.

turftammer -- I think that deere makes some nice equipment. I also think there are a lot of other brands that make nice equipment too. A lot of the reason we buy deere is because of the dealer support though. We looked at some other brands prior to the ztr purchase but wern't happy with the dealers. So we went with the 757 and don't regret it (would buy another one again). There are quite of few guys running other machines (lots of exmark/toro, lesco, etc.). There probably are more guys running JD though since their world headquarters is in Moline. Both of my grandfathers worked for deere. I guess we got hooked on green when we bought the push mower because my grandpa gets an employee discount :) Doesn't apply to commercial equipment though :angry:

I'll throw in a pic of a mulching/edging job we did this spring. Stick edger works great for the curves.

mulchingjob.jpg

4. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

When you have mulch jobs do you automatically do the bed edging for them or do you charge for that? Do you have a typical rate at which you spread one cubic yard of mulch?

5. GLS

Bed eding is done seperately. We let the customer choose (we recommend it but don't automatically do it). Yes, we charge by the cubic yard. We give a discount for larger jobs.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan
    Was there any edge there to start with or is that all from the Stick Edger?

7. John P.

What type of exhuast system do you have on the K2500?

8. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

When i started out, i started with my younger bro, we argued all the time, he wanted to do jobs his way and vice versa! Makes me laugh how we used to argue in front of the customer sometimes, or he would tell me to go get his rake in front of the customer and vice versa, we did get along more than we argued, He does not work with me any more though, not because the arguing though, He was serious about it for the first 3 months then gave up so i bought him out for the half of the money he put in for equipment. that was almost 3 years ago and now he regrets it, he sees all the loochy that i make! Boy i tell you we had some funny days.The main thing you guys need to do is to try to stick together! Partnership with family can be tough! You guys have to much of nice equipment, and i hope you guys make a sh*t load of money

9. GLS

Lux Lawn -- The edge was overgrown. We redefined the edge, but a lot of it was pure sod. We have used it to create edges though.

John P. -- it has a cat-back dual exhaust. Had an exhaust shop do the work. The exhaust was from the muffler and beyond was trash when we bought it.

We just bought a 5" exhaust for the duramax. We havn't put it on yet though.

All Lawns & Landcare -- that sounds a lot like us :D

10. John P.

Are you licensed in the state of Illinois? I'm working in Illinois too and wanted to figure out how to become legit. Do you have insurance?