1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Glue or gasketed?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Feb 23, 2012.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 4" reed pipe puller i will sell for $325 shipped. It runs about a grand new. I finished my 4" gasketed main job and probably wont do another one for a few years. The thing worked awesome, much much faster than doing by hand, especially elbows and Ts. Also capable of doing 6", just need a couple 6" adaptors

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

just curious. how fast is faster than by hand.?

i have always just used duckbutter and a bar on gasket pipe.

how long does it take to put the puller on the pipes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. muddywater

They put 500' together in 30-40 minutes. We could put it together outside of the 3' trench and did not have to have the pipe connected to push against.

I still dont know how you guys can push on an elbow with a bar. I was glad we had the joiner for some tight spots with fittings going out of a sleeve then back in a sleeve in a 3' trench.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

5. muddywater

Your post didnt go through
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i guess that is because i didn't write one
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. muddywater

So what is the trick to get an elbow on with a bar(besides duck butter)? We couldn't get one on for the life of us. We tried for about 30 minutes b/c I did not want to reconfigure the pipe joiner to fit in the trench between sleeves, but we just could not get a good push because curve in the back of the elbow. Do you have some sort of adaptor that helps get a straight push on the elbow?

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

After a few miles of underground a guy gets a pretty good feel for pipeline installs.
    Proper preparation is the key on all sizes of pipe, or anything for that matter.
    Yes i have made several push tools but they aren't worth a damn if the pipe isn't prepped right.
    I have tried many different tools and devices from clamps to forks and spoons but in the end i found that the forks and saddle chocks that i made worked on all sizes of pipe if the pipe is prepped correctly.
    I never rolled a gasket but had a 12 in mj fail on a fire sprinkler line in 92.
    Funny thing is that this year 2 new 15 in orchard sprinkler mains failed because of gaskets, told them right off what it was.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. muddywater

Yeah i figured you had a trick. If i had your experience, i prob wouldnt need a joiner.... but it bridged the gap on this one!