Glue Removal!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, May 19, 2005.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, how does everyone else get the $%^&* glue off your hands. I hate gloves once the weather gets warm. Vaseline Intensive Care seems to work best for me. Any good hydrating lotion will get it done w/ some patients. I've used "instant orange", Goop, etc. I always end up back with lotion.

Oh, primer works great in a pinch, but if you've been hand digging in the mud lately, your going to find out about some cuts and scrapes you either didn't know you had or forgot about.

Somebody out there has a great solution, I'm sure. But, will you share :blob3:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Use poly pipe :p

3. Here is my solution:

Grab your lawn chair...grab a six pack of your favorite alchoholic beverage....sit in lawn chair with beer and in between slurps, patiently pick the glue off your hands. It is amazing how the more you drink, the less you care about the glue.

I personally strive for large chunks at a time, which by the way, really takes patience!

My wife absolutely hates it when I rub her arm or back and the little pieces of dried glue scratch her. Heh Heh!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just leave it on, it comes off in a few days ...

Actually, I usually try to carry a glue rag around with me to get the glue off my hands while its still wet. But I still have some to pick off at the end of the day.

5. What is wrong with latex gloves, cheap enough that you can throw them away. reduces glue on hands. As much as I hate gloves, I wear those latex ones religiously when installing.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an oldy but a goody - "Corn Husker's Lotion". Softens it up and easier to get off.

Also for those hands cracked from the cold and wet - use Bag Balm - have to get it at a feed store where they sell milking products.

Jerry R
    (experience gained on Minnesota Dairy Farm)

7. bicmudpuppy

I've used and like Bag Balm, guess I'll have to try the husker's. Thanks for the input.

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

If you don't like gloves try putting the bag Balm on before you get the glue on you. I use John Deere hand soap before I work on a greasy engine and the grease doesnt penetrate into the pores as much. Never tried it with glue but I would bet it would work.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Learn to glue carefully and keep your hands out of your own way.I keep a clean wet rag close when gluing.Wipe my hands on that.Fingernail polish remover works good too so does rubbing alcohol.Latex gloves just get melted onto my hands as the glue melts it.

10. bicmudpuppy

If you can "snap" 1" and larger repairs "carefully" your much better at this than I will ever be. Taking your time, digging a large enough hole to make it easier, etc. all reflect poorly on the bottom line. Even if your T&M, wasted straight labor hours reduce your overall profitability (the only reason I'm playing in the mud and fighting glue in the first place). Besided that, bigger holes mean more disturbed yard, means my work looks even worse. The customer wants you in and out with min. damage to the existing. So you work tight and this (at least for me) means I end up worse for the wear. i.e. laying down on my gut or almost standing on my head in a deep repair vs. digging a hole large enough to "get into".