Gluing Magnets on Flywheel Kohler CV20

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RayWT, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RayWT

RayWT LawnSite Member

I put a new flywheel on this mower 5 yrs ago because the magnets had come loose. They have come loose again. Has anyone had any luck gluing the magnets on instead of purchasing a new flywheel? If so, what adhesive did you use?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Gosh I couldn't say, the odd thing is I have never in 8 years had magnets come
    off any flywheel on any engine of mine (and among others I have 4 Kohlers).

I might recommend asking your dealer on this one.
  3. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I have done a few. I sand the back of the magnet to clean and remove old adhesive and clean the flywheel good. I use a 2 part epoxy and a small c-clamp. I put a small piece of wood between the magnet and the clamp. Tighten as tight as you can. make sure everything is clean and don't disorientate magnets.
  4. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I have 2 Kohler 25s and both had the magnets come loose. I thought i was in some bad magnetic time zone or something??? Im in Fla and its hott is that possibly the reason they both failed?
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Over time with the engines getting wet (rain/washing) the flywheel begins to rust under the magnets, After so long with the heat (engine heating/cooling) the rust finally pushes the magnet popping it from the epoxy.

Why take the chance re-gluing magnets if the stator escaped damage ?

Most likely wouldn't be so lucky when your glue job fails and wipes the stator out, Then your out a flywheel and stator......

Have a Briggs sitting here the magnets came loose on, Busted the stator mount post right out of the top of the block.....