Glyfosate-Believe this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe it.. I once heard a collage professor in a speach about pesticides claim that humans could drink glyphosate, and it would not have any ill effects... not at all the case with MOST pesticides...

But at any rate.. You should pretty much treat all pesticides like nuclear waste... Who wants to get cancer in 5 years because of something laboratory testing missed? ... .... ...

Don't see anyone raising their hands yet... so.. just be safe, no matter what you're applying.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I do not believe any of that story. Roundup does not last long enough in the environment to pollute ground water. The list of harm it can do is way too long for any of it to be credible.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Look who wrote the article. They obviously have an agenda.

It's probably like the "saccharin causing cancer in rats study". Sure, but they gave the rats tremendous dosages of saccharin before the rats formed cancer cells. Way more than would normally be ingested. I'm sure if I took a Glyphosphate bath every night before bed, something bad might happen after a while.:confused:
  5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I noticed that one of the tests conducted on mice involved injecting glyphosate directly under the skin (subcutaneous). Generally when I use glyphosate, I inject it directly into a main artery, none of that sissy stuff for me. Any product when it is missused or abused can be toxic. If you drink enough water your body will go into shock and you can die but not many are willing to drink 6-8 gallons to do the job.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is bogus! Yes we need to respect the product but glyphosate is one the of the safest products we use on the market (especially when diluted). Look at the LD 50. I interned with Monsanto in 99 and we had a safety class and if you were to ingest Roundup all it would do is give you the runs. This article was written by tree huggers. If this unsafe they wouldn't be selling millions of gallons at Walmart and Lowes. Also roundup has not activity in the soil!
  7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they will choke onit.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

First think I noticed was the Source of the information. We are read From "The Journal for Pesticide Reform" an Article written by "Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides" Why not attack the # One selling Pesticide in the world.

I always try and consider the source on any information. In the case of Airhead I always use quite a bit of Caution. Got to love the Tree Huggers.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I love your comments to "Airhead". Keeps me laughing every time. You are like the Larry the Cable guy of Lawnsite. Lord I apolozize... Have a great one!

BTW, We have finally gotten some stuff from the sky today. It's been so long but I think they call it rain or something so we might be able to start applying again here in SW OH. I am pumped!
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

AirHead loves those comments also. He would be disappointed if I didn't Bust his Chops. It is his claim to fame and the attention his mother never gave him as a child growing up.