1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Glyfosate is safe or what ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Glyfosate is safe or what ?
    I gotta condo complex covering 10 acres and I usually use 2-3 gallons of 1.5% or 2 onces per gallon , spot spraying .
    There’s this wacky old woman who says it’s bothering here , she’s having a reaction to the tiny bit of glyfosate that I use over the 10 acres .
    Furthermore , the complex is located next to the industrial area of Sedona with auto body shops and woodworking shops and so on .
    She’s attacking me for using glyfosate

I know many of y’all know how to handle such people with explainations of how table salt and other household things are more toxic than gly or what ever

I need help combating the wacky weirdo with material reflecting how safe gly is compared normal everyday things are potential more of a hazard .

Get my drift ?

Any help is appreciated
  2. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

3. ArizPestWeed

Thank you Neil .
    Didn't see much there .
    Did a search for " glyfosate safety " and all I found is 1 research paper on the subject in my favor .
    The MSDS helps , too.
    Still , Id like some ammo .

Anyone else have anything
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

glyphosate is less toxic than horticultural vinegar - compare both labels.
  5. nik

nik LawnSite Member

Just make sure your talking glyphosate only and not one of the newer blends.

Try the National Pesticide Information Center

or 1-800-858-7378 daily 6:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Daily

A public source of chemical, health, and environmental information about pesticides.

Glyphosate has become target #1 with the groups that are anti-any pesticides. They are after it becasue it is the one of the most most widely used and least problematic of any herbicide on the planet. as for making that woman more comfortable about glyphosate, I wouldn't waste my time.

Are the condos privately owned or are they comemercial? Unless this women has a say on what goes on, I'd deal with her through the property owners or managers. I am familar with the situation you described and often no amount of information will change how they feel. Just do your work, apply the pesticide products according to the label and in a alwful manner.
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Actually, this reminds me of a situation where a park had a commercial nursery on it's border. Each year, when they'd spray for broadleaf in the late spring(one app a year, don't ask..lol) the nursery would scream and shout and bring a load of dead plants in saying they got whacked by the drift. The park system managers became skeptical after several years of this, after each progressive year trying to be more and more careful. So they ran a clean tank and boomed to look just like they always did, only applying water though instead of the herbicide. Guess what, the nursery came and did the same song and dance. There could be no smell to the application, no damage, just the sight of them doing it. What's the point as it relates to this? Nothing, I just like telling the story...kidding...people have things in their mind about what you are doing and nothing is going to change that fact. If she's not a decision maker, let her convince the others she's a kook..or if you must, wear the full tyvek suit next time and respirator gear, add a littel scythe to amp up your smell and linger around her house for half the day.
  7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

8. ArizPestWeed

Timmy !!
    Does your mommie know you are out playing in cyber space
  9. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

She let's me out to play now and then
  10. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Glyphosate is a nonselective, nonresidual, postemergence material, recognized for its effectiveness against perennial, deep-rooted grass and broadleaf weeds, as well as woody brush problems in crop and noncrop areas. It is a translocated, foliar-applied herbicide than can be applied at any stage of plant growth or at any time of year, with most types of application equipment, including the new wick, roller, and wiper devises. Its mechanism of action appears to be the inhibition of aromatic amino acid synthesis, which results in the inhibition of nucleic acid metabolism and protein synthesis.
    Being isopropylamine salt, it is one of the safest chemical herbicides available but that does not mean that sensitive individuals cannot have a reaction to it.
    There is a dispute in Austrailia that concerns a farmer who will not allow spraying of glyphosate on his property because of deformities to the calves born to cows eating contaminated grass. He was a professor of chemistry for 30 yrs before retiring and claims that Roundup is poisonous. Now he is certainly allowed to believe what he wants and even states he has proof but between you and me I think he's a looney.