Glyfosate -Toxic ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

In the amounts we use it , do you think it is toxic to anything other than weeds ?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Didn't we just have this discussion a couple of weeks ago?

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Yup

flowers, shrubs, turf...:)

4. MarcSmith

LD value.....plain and simple. the value at which mroe than 1/2 of the laboratory animals died. as a result of oral consumption

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/content/products/productivity/roundup/gly_tox101_bkg.pdf

glyphosates LD value is over 5000 mg per kg....to put it some type of perspective.....

paraquat is more dangerours than nicotine, which is more dangerous than copper sulfate which is more dangerous than chloroform.....

Paraquat, nicotine and copper sulfate are below 300 (yes three hundred) mg/kg as an LD value while clorform is closer to 1000....

so to begin having problems you woudl have to consume 5000 mg for every kg of body masss. A man with a mas of 90K (200lb) would have to consume 450,000 mg or 450 grams .45kg or about one pound of 41% glyphosate which would equate to about 12-16 ounces of concentrate... or three gallons of a mixed solution out of a backpack sprayer....

now lest compate this to the approximake value for chloroform with has an ld value of 1000.... so you would have to consume90,000 mg or 90 grams or .09 kg or .2 lbs....

for whats its worth....Earlier this year, a 28-year-old California woman died after competing in a radio station's on-air water-drinking contest. After downing some six liters of water in three hours in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" (Nintendo game console) contest, Jennifer Strange vomited, went home with a splitting headache, and died from so-called water intoxication.

It also happened here in DC to police officer last year

so by drinking thre gallons of a mixxed solution out of backpack sprayer which will kill you the roundup or the water????????

I'd venture to say you'd be dead before you finished the second gallon....from iover hydration.

Hopefull this will answer you question.

I can't tell you how to answer your clients questions...but here are some common consumer chemicals and their LD values
    Caffeine 192
    Bleach 192
    Tylenol 338
    Household ammonia (10%) 350
    Codeine 427
    Table salt 3000

you can tell them that their cup of java or anythng under their kitchen sink is more dangerous than glyphosate..

BTW if you ask questions, you may not get an answer you like, but don't be mad at those answering the same questions over an over for you....You are the one with your handout asking for help....

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you Marc , quality post .

I am having a problem with the water depts yards , the neighbors are complaining that the 2 cups of 1.5% glyfosate I use is bothering them , they want me to use something else .
    Lee , dept manager of the yards does not understand what Glyfo is about , he is caving in to this one problem home.
    The home they live in is 80 years old and , well .
    Thanks

Anymore reasonable comments welcome

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Arizona,

Marc makes a very good post...but to keep it simple for Gly just tell them that it is safter then table salt. That puts it simple and in their terms.

Why is the Gly bothering your customer? Gly has very little odor and is not offensive in any way. Pure 41 doesn't even bother me let alone the 2-4% solution we use when applying!

We talked about the LD50 and product safety of Gly in the post last week. Now that you bring this up... maybe gly does cause memory loss! Let see if you start this post again next week and it will confirm this theory!

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Glyphosate is a Salt....It has a + Charge and is a Cation.

Soils have a Strong - Charge and is an Anion.

The same way Magnets stick to metal.....Cations are attracted strongly to Anions.

This is what folks mean when the Glyphosate has no Activaty in the soil.....It becomes Bound (opposites attract) to the top layer until it is broken down by Microbes and Sunlight.

Learn the Science of the products you use, so when you educate folks about it, most will feel comfortable you know what you are doing AND the people that Don't trust you yet will look up for themselves, and then realize you were right.

Then of course there are the folks that just don't want pesticides. Don't even bother trying to educate them.....They are set in their ways, and often Ignorant. They don't want em'....don't use em'

Pete D.

8. MarcSmith

we did this @ disney once...it could work here....every time we sprayed any type of insect control insides this one office on baseboards and such. the office manager would always have a several people want to go home early due to some reaction with the chemicals. so the manager contacted u and we suggested one day coming by to to spray just water and see what happened.

well of course the same few people got their "reaction" to the water....

you could "spray water" on the weeds one week and see if you get any complaints. But I'd ask the Water works people first to see if they'd be willing to play long with you on it...If the people complain, then you know that they are complaining not because of the chemical, but because of the act. IE someone spraying something...

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yep!

About 10 years ago when I was just starting in the ag spraying business we loaded up one of our sprayers with water and went to the field to make sure everything was working properly.

Later that day we get a phone call from a fella that was neighboring the field we used for testing. He said that we killed a tree and some of his flowers.

1) Even if we would have been spraying symptoms would not have shown up that quick.
    2) You should have seen how far we were from his house.
    3) The items he said we killed were on the other side of the house from where we were even testing.

If some people see chemicals or application equipment they freak out.
    Anyway my boss told him we were only using water and I am not sure if it ever went any further.
    Funny though!

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I also say DITTO to Marc. Super post!