Glyhosate in cool temperature!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by snking1, Jan 26, 2009.

1. snking1

snking1 LawnSite Member

Has anyone use glyphosate (round up) in 45-50 degree weather? If so was it effective against active weeds? How potent was the mix? Thanks.....
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You will be fine! You will get a slower kill, but it will still work great!

Use the same recommended rates for the size and type of weed you are trying to kill.
  3. Hoots

Hoots LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I second rcreech. He is right. (just in case you were not sure about only one response)

I have used Monument for poa. If you think it is slow in warmer temps, you have not seen it in cold temps. I have seen it take up to one month to yellow.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If a weed is growing in cold temperature, its metabolism is slowed. Herbicides that affect the metabolism of the plant such as Gly, sulfonylureas and phenoxys work, but not as fast as they do at 80 degrees.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

We have only used glyphosate during periods when poa annua has escaped our pre-m barrier or when a new customer signs on late.! Soft tissued weeds like henbit seems to wilt within a short time, but it varies.
    The translocation kill is significantly reduced because of slow movement within the weed. We live in the transition zone and the weather can fool you at every turn. It is cold for 2-3 weeks and then becomes warm for a week. The cycle starts all over and the ground temps are unstable for accurate application.
    The length of time will vary with temps and the percentage of mixture.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. It's hard to tell how fast and how well it will work during colder temps. I know of some that use it in tank mix with pre-emerg for their early spring app. To unpredictable in my opinion, especially at the threshold of Spring transition. What part of Arkansas you from Think Green?
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would not worry until temps were in the low 30s and ground was frozen.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not going to retype my speech about Glyphosate being a select herbicide and growth regulator. Do a search if you are interested.
  9. Please Ric, I'm terrible at searching.

and lazyyy!
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You are just plain Terrible. So no excuses about being Lazy also. :)

You can find a Label for Roundup??? Oops sorry I know how lazy you can be.

OK page 14 section 12.3 Chemical Mowing. This should get your mind ticking.

Sorry but I am lazy too and that is as much as I feel like typing right now. But I have written volumes about Roundup here at Lawnsite.