Glyphomate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by robertsturf, Feb 3, 2009.

1. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

My fert sales rep told me about a product that I could use for spraying the rip-rack along a retention pond called Glyphomate. It is also labeled for aquatics use but I would not be using it for that aspect. I was wanting to find a local source for this product. I am in the Kansas City area. Is there a brand name I could look for?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know that particular name brand but we have used Prosecutor (not Pro) for this very situation. It does not have surfactant in it and is labeled. "To water line" which suits this situation perfectly.

Although I think the Prosecutor line is being discontinued since the JDL merger so check into plain Roundup.

Just an option.

3. ro1207

ro1207 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Glyphomate is a PBI Gordon's product and is 41% Glyphosate. You can find this at any PBI Gordons dealer. Any product that is 41% Glyphosate can be used for this purpose. Razor, Razor Pro, Prosecutor, Prosecutor Pro, Round up Pro etc.... These products are all the same stuff.

4. robertsturf

Check the label on the products you are supposed to keep so many feet away from drainage or water sources. Also the PPE for the Prosecutor product requires cover-alls in addition the gloves, shoes, etc..

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

turf hokie & ro1207

Both of you have posted Misinformation. I suggest you both read the labels of all products you have recommended for this application. If in fact you can not figure out why you have given misinformation please post back and I will explain it to you.

6. turf hokie

Ok Ric you got me (I think this is it)

the prosecutor label actually states.
    "Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark."

I was wrong to say "to water line". But the prduct would still work for what he is looking to do.

But like I said I dont beleive prosecutor will make the cut with the JDL merger so it may be a moot point and I said to look into plain round-up as an option.

Please let me know if I am missing something.
    Thanks
    Bryan

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bryan

You are not alone, Many think they know or understand chemical labels yet never fully read or understand the label or how a product is to be used. Glyphosate a lone is not harmful the Aquatic life however the surfactant in all the products you list is. Yes 41% glyphosate has surfactants. 53.8% Glyphosate normally doesn't have surfactants. MSO is a surfactant that can have an Aquatic Label and is commonly used for Aquatic application.

As robertsturf has pointed out, 41% Glyphosate is not labeled to be sprayed in drainage ditches.

8. turf hokie

Ric,

My understanding was that the prosecutor did not have any surfactant in it, matter of fact the label suggests adding a non-ionic surfactant. This is why I was specific about NOT using the "pro" version which has the surfactant.

Am I not correct? Are you saying all 41% Gly has a surfactant already in it?

The reason I ask is the round-up pro says "41% Gly, other ingredients(including surfactant)59%" but the prosecutor only has 41% Gly and 59% inert.

9. robertsturf

Applying to the water line is the issue. The rip-rak goes to the water-line so care has to be given when applying in these areas. Again no one has answered my main question. Is there a specific product I can buy that has the Glyphomate in it for this purpose?? I do appreciate everyones input on this question.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf

Prosecutor is in fact Roundup Original produced and packaged by Monsanto for Lesco by special marketing agreement. Prosecutor Pro is Roundup Pro. Yes it has a surfactant that was tested and found to cause mutation in Frogs. Frogs are normally used for testing chemicals because they are very susceptible to chemicals. It is the surfactant and not the Glyphosate that cause Aquatic problems. Therefore Roundup-Prosecutor is restricted use in and around water sheds by label.

My suggestion to you (and everyone) is to read and study every chemical you use to become totally familiar with their use and restrictions. If you want to become a professional then you must act like a professional and keep studying your profession.