1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Glyphosate and msma?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawnworks, May 18, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I was talking to a nursury owner the other day, and he said if I mixed in one ounce per gallon along w/ my gylphosate that I would see instant results... like same day results. Any truth to that? I bought some for $15 that says crabgrass killer, I hope it is the same stuff the man was talking about. I paid $50 per 2.5 gallon container of Razor 41% glyphosate. I thought that was pretty reasonable compared to 1 gallon of Quickpro at $117.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about MSMA, but Scythe mixed in does give you a quick burndown.
  3. Lawnchick22

Lawnchick22 LawnSite Member

check both chemicals msda before you mix -- you may put yourself or others in danger
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

how much is scythe?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I pay about $30-35 a gallon for Scythe.
  6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

If memory serves me, MSMA is a selective herbicide labeled for grassy weeds esp. crab. Works OK until it gets beyond third tiller stage. What are you trying to kill with this cocktail?
  7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Seems redundant to me. THe glyphosate will take care of grasses by itself.
    Why spend the extra dollars.:confused:
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, for quick burndown, any of the "quats" work wel. You just have to be careful using some of these, especially like Scythe. Too quick of burndown will burn the tops off too quick and render the gly ineffective. I should have mentioned this before.
  9. standeruser

standeruser LawnSite Member

$50 bucks for 2.5 gal. What A steal. I pay 100 from J. green and lesco charges more!!
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I love the ads for round up claiming 24 hour kill. Straight glyphosate takes about a week or more, depending on conditions. Be patient. I belive MSMA is an acid, so it should make it work quicker, but again, why spend the exta $$? Dead is dead, whether it is now or in a week.