Glyphosate price

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ProLawns, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys paying for glyphosate granular such as Round-up Quick Pro or Lesco Prosecutor?

2. Liquid $27.00 Per Gallon

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Prosecutor swift is actually liquadated for good, they will only sell quik pro, about 86.00 for a 6.8# jug is pretty normal. and about 65.00 2.5gallon.
    the prices will be going up drastically soon with monsanto winning these lawsuits. MONSANTO WILL ONCE AGAIN BE THE GOLDEN BOYS$$$$$$

4. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

I pay right at 87 for 2.5 gallons of lesco prosecutor, but If you like that I would buy it up. My lesco dealer told me that they will not be selling prosecutor anymore.

5. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

prosecutor pro will still be around, it's just the prosecutor going away, from what I hear it's only due to jd's buying agreement with monsanto and Nufarm makes regular prosecutor now.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Anything I am spraying with glyphosate gets either a preemergent applied as well or it is killed off as a bareground situation. Around desirable plants and lawn, I use Gallery, + Barricade or Ronstar 50 WP, not the granules. In other situations, there is Karmex, Krovar or Velpar. It seems that I sit on a jug of glyphosate for a long time because I am not killing weeds in the same place month after month. This is important for me because weeds will grow 12 months out of the year. If I were to compare doing up to 10 rounds of glyphosate to 3 rounds of a selective preemergent or a bareground once a year, the glyphosate becomes very costly in terms of time and materials. I do not have the luxury of going to my vacation home in Hawaii for the winter because I live and work in Hawaii.

7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i heard the glphosate increase was due to china enforcing new reg.'s in manufacturing

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This could be.....but don't tell me that Monsanto doesn't have a hand in this!

10 years ago - Roundup was $40-50/gallon
    Couple years ago Roundup patent went off and 175 Gly suppliers - Dropped to $10/gallon
    Now - Monsanto has bought up a lot of the generics - $27-35/gallon

MONOPOLY!

9. ALVW

ALVW LawnSite Member

Price of Glyphosate is going up for a number of reasons, Monsanto buying up the generics is not one of them. There are still pleanty of suppliers of Gly out there such as Albaugh, NuFarm, Cheminova. All of these companies will issue "private labels" to distributors so sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly where or from whom the products originated.

The real reason the price is going up is simple Econ 101, Supply & Demand. The gentleman who indicated the Chinese govt. crackdown on manufacturers is closest. This is part of the equation. If you'all didn't know it, most of the worlds glyphosate production is in fact Chinese. There are several parts to the rise in price:

1. The Chinese are allocating the building blocks for glyphosate, the raw materials if you will, to other more lucrative endeavors. As the price of Gly came down significantly, it was not so appealing any longer and they found other more cost effective areas to allocate some of the necessary raw materials.

2. The Chinese goverment has indeed cracked down and increased regulations on these manufacturing facilities, primarily to look good in the eyes of the rest of the world for the upcoming Olympic Games. This is costing the manufacturing facilities $ which they in turn pass onto their customers.

3. The Chinese manufacturers are also entrepreneurs and are taking advantage of the shortage as any good capitalist would. Again the price goes even higher.

4. Lastly, look at the falling dollar versus most of the worlds currencies. No secret the buying power of the dollar has fallen significantly so if you are importaing any goods, they are costing more.

That is all..........back to our regularly scheduled program.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

i have been making my own for several years , cost me $5 a gallon