Glyphosate vs. Glyphosate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jun 27, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

All Glyphosate products are not created equal, but some are more equal than others. I've never really been a fan of Roundup. Could anyone recommend a Glyphosate product that is stronger than the stuff that Walmart sells?
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always had great luck with Prosecutor Pro Ray.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What is it you wnata control?

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would not recommend using Roundup as there are too many generics out here on the market that work great. Buying Roundup or any other name brand only lines the big boys pockets.

Go to any farm store or co-op and buy the cheapest 41% glyphosate with surfactant you can. Buying it as a concentrate will save you tons on money. I am not sure what the cost is in 2 1/5 gallon jugs, but we pay between $10-15/ gallon for a 30 gallon drum depending on the market. Be sure and shop around and you should find a good deal as the glyphosate market is very competitive especially in the ag sector.

SIDE NOTE: Adding AMS (ammonium sulfate) to your tank (especially if you have hard H20) before adding the glyphosate will get you a much better kill %.

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd have to say there is nothing substandard about the roundup at any retail outlet, it all works, the problem comes in the pricing, so going generic and buying in bulk is key

6. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

We use, and have used for years product called Buccaneer. Works great, and its fairly cheap. We get 2.5 gallons of chemical for $53.00. You mix 6oz with 5 gallons so it goes a long ways. Just my two cents

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

Thank you for one of the better laughs I have had here at Lawnsite. Did you buy your equipment at WalMart also?? What about Fertilizer?

Commercial Glyphosate comes in concentrated form and is mixed according to the job. WalMart sells mostly mixed Roundup in ready to use mixtures. Try using a 41% Glyphosate and mix 2.75 oz per gallon to get the best results. You can mix it weaker but I find at $ 14.00 a gallon Glyphosate is cheaper than my time to go back and spray again. Bermuda Grass is impossible to kill with Glyphosate alone with even two applications. But at the 2.75 oz per gallon rate I can suppress it enough.

BTW I buy 53.8% Aquatic Labeled Glyphosate with out Surfactant at even cheaper prices per Gallon. But the Aquatic Surfactant cost 3 time the price of Glyphosate per gallon.

Creech said add some Ammonium Sulfate for a better Kill and that is true for even faster response time. The Rate is 17 lbs of AS to a 100 tank or just under a 1/5 of a pound per Gallon. Not only does the AS help acidify the tank so the Glyphosate will work better and last longer in the tank, But the AS will increase uptake by the plant. Interesting how nature works, Because Glyphosate works by inhibiting Nitrogen Molecule yet Nitrogen helps the Glyphosate work faster and better.

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ric: I personally buy my Glyphosate 41% + Sufacant at the Local Co-op--They give me a little discount. Generally runs about $50/ 2.5 jug. On the original post, my intentions was to get some of the others to recommend some names other than the Roundup--Wal-Mart probably sells it also. However, I only been to a Wal-Mart two times in my life...both of them late at night when the children needed some cough medicine My large equiptment would not even hardly fit through the doors. Most of it is Kabota, and I don't think Wal-Mart has that line yet...I hear that they are even trying to get into banking.
    Since you're dropping in, can you make a case for Glyphosate over MSMA? From all of the literature and in talking with various Chem Co., Dallisgrass will have to be painted in the centipede and most of the literature tauts MSMA. I was wandering since I have got to go that route, would my glyphosate be just as good, and do it in one shot rather than a second or third round with MSMA.
    I wasn't beinig a wise ass above, just didn't want you to get the impression that I used that Roundup stuff.
    Again thanks,
    Roy

9. add some Ammonium Sulfate for a better Kill [/B Helps increase the kill with all herbicides....goal is to make the water on tha acid side...humic acids works also...easier to mix, especially with small quanities

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

I answered you the only answer I will give you about St Augustine and Dallisgrass in an other thread. My Area is too hot for Centipede and I know very little about it. MSMA is coming off the market and will kill st Augustine. So I can't answer that one either except MSMA has a longer residual than Glyphosate and is a little more dangerous to fool with. Yes I know of a way to control Grassy weeds in St Augustine, however it is just on the boarder line of being legal. I am not going to post that control on the Internet or even tell my best friend.