1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Glyphosate window for southern lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Chilehead, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Howdy, Lawnsite Community! Just thought I'd take the time to remind those in the southeastern U.S. that the recent arctic blast has prompted me to take advantage of the short window we'll have (till about this Friday) to use glyphosate on fully dormant southern turf. The last 2 winters were too warm to do this without inflicting damage, but right now the soil temps around Atlanta are in the upper 20s. Glyphosate (Roundup/Prosecutor) will knock out all those pesky weeds in turf like poa annua without costing an arm or a leg (like Revolver). Take advantage of this window of opportunity, folks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Just so no one does something they will regret this applies to bermuda only.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Exactly. We get colder temps than the original poster and I have done a gly app on Bermuda if the lawn is new and is really dirty for round 1.

For poa atrazine works pretty good for me in early apps until I can get a fall pre on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Typically late January and early February are the best times to do this where I work. If I dare to do it. I don't try to kill broadleafs, only grassy weeds such as fescue in Bermuda, etc. I don't mind using 2,4-d in the winter.

5. Chilehead

I generally use Lesco 3-Way Ester in the winter for broadleaf weeds. Image will suppress annual bluegrass, but not kill it. Revolver and Prograss will kill it, but cost waaaaay too much. Roundup is the cheap and effective alternative. I find that rates of 1 oz./gal. will do the job just fine. You also don't need to saturate the weed for Roundup to work, as it comes pre-mixed with a surfactant that will spread the chemical around the weed's surface (at least the Prosecutor brand at JDL comes this way).

6. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

I typically don't have much problem with poa in Bermuda, but it gets in a few fescue yards each spring. I have some prograss but it's way too costly to use much of.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I had such a problem with orchardgrass last year in some lawns(which may have had something to do with the extreme drought the season before) that I know which lawns I will use it in and how long I am safe to be using it. As ArTurf stated...Bermuda lawns only!

8. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

I know people who broadcast it and swear by it but I also know an equal number of people who say it will leave the grass weak when it comes out of dormancy. I also know that you can't seed till 14 days after use, so I assume that means it's active in the soil for 14 day so unless you have a 14 day reliable weather forecast, I'd stay away. An alternative would be to use a half rate of round up and a 1 qt per acre rate of simtrol.

9. Chilehead

Atrazine does well on dormant bermuda as well.

10. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

I have never used atrazine only simazine which also works very well at the 2 at per acre rate.