glyphosate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, May 28, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

For a "kill all" application prior to seeding or laying sod, what do you guys use for the mix rate? Also, how soon after can you sod or seed? I assume sodding could be done before seeding! I use a 100 gallon tank. (btw I did read the label, just a bit too much info to digest.

Thanks, Don

2. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

depends on the % of AI i think round up pro would be 2-4%

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I like to use a BP sprayer and mix 5oz of round up per gallon. you can actually seed as soon as you want to after using round up since it works through the leaves of the grass. I would want to wait until the sprayed areas turned brown before sodding though.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Well , the Round Up label states to wait 10 days before seeding .
    I read that 5 years ago , so , could be wrong

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is just because of the soil preparation. Actually, as soon as you spray, like within a day, you can work up the soil and seed, but it is much easier after thestuff has dried out. If you spray gly over top of new seed, it will help the germination rate quite a bit, also.

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, 5 oz./gallon exceeds the label rate.

7. jtlnl

jtlnl LawnSite Member

if you are seeding or sodding either one; your primary objective is to get good seed/root to soil contact, are you planning on tilling or anything after killing the old growth?

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The label gives a rate /1000'. 2-3oz/1000' usually sufficient for grass. As far as when you can seed, I have sprayed, (touch up the areas I missed the first time) waited for it to dry and then seeded over it. The lawns all came in great. As far as sodding, I would not lay sod over dead grass. You have to get the old stuff up. You can seed through it, just don't lay sod. The grass will form ammonia when it decomposes, and this will get trapped under the sod layer. It will build up, the roots will hit it an the sod will die.