1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone try and buy some lately ??
    It's all gone , Monsanto bought up everything , I hear .
    Prises are gonna go through the roof
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Cheapest I could find about two months ago was $19.99/gal for 41%.

I think it is upwards of $27+ now.

That is 2x what I was paying last year!

Monsanto has go it figured out don't they?
  3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

The local farm store here used to sell it for $50 a jug and now it's $70.
  4. Got a 30 gallon drum the other day, it was $27 a gallon, more than double last year.
  5. dennys-lawn

dennys-lawn LawnSite Member

Went from $35.00 to $78.50 per 2 1/2 gallon here :cry:
  6. T-Cart

T-Cart LawnSite Member

Paid $38 a gallon yesterday! Shopping around for the next order. We could get it for around $10 a gallon last year.
  7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have heard the increase is due to china appling new regs. there. most of the off brand (cheap) stuff was made there. now they are putting in reg. on manufacturing(maybe the cheap toothpaste scandle had something to due with it)
    the word i got was whatever it is the $ are going up
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I actually use very little glyphosate. My UAP salesman noticed that. He also noticed how much 2,4-D. Gallery, Karmex and Ronstar 50WSP I go through in one year. In my location, lots of weeds are not susceptible to glyphosate or they have dropped so many seeds that as soon as you have killed the original weed, more is germinating among the ruins. The "landscapers" go through gallons of the stuff per month 12 months out of the year. I never see the telltale white powder or yellow stain where they have sprayed weeds. They are also back spraying the same place next month. I plan on keeping an area dead for up to a year.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The reason for glyphosate price increase is because Nufarm's Chinese manufacture and supplier was shut down due to polluting a lake in China along with several other chem plants. Yes China actually shut a manufacture down for polluting, amazing.

Monsanto is now manufacturing and supplying 91% of the glyphosate and profit taking one more time on the most financially successful pesticide ever developed. Grain shortages in the world this last growing season along with increased production of Roundup ready grain, Corn for fuel etc, has demand exceeding supply.

Look for glyphosate prices to come down in the next few years as China gets less pollution chemical plants back on line. Nufarm is also looking more manufactures world wide to fill the demand. BTW after Roundup's patent expired several small chemical manufactures started making it. Monsanto purchased many of these plants to keep their market edge. Nufarm was Monsanto's biggest competitor in the glyphosate market until their Chinese supplier was shut down.