Glyphosphate results on bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 21, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing I noticed this year (my first year in the business).

When I treat bermuda in the summer with glyphosphate, I notice one application almost never works. It usually takes a couple of applications.

But when I would treat bermuda with glyphosphate in the fall, it would be dead within a week to ten days.

I'm guessing the reason is because in the fall, there is less sunlight and the plant is relying more on the roots for sustenance than photosynthesis. In other words, it's under stress in the fall. But in the summer it's doing so much photosynthesizing and it's so healthy that it can tolerate a little glyphosphate.

Anyone else ever notice this? If so, what are your thoughts?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Your fall application does not control Bermuda only suppresses it at a time of year when it is slower growing. Try Fuslia and Round Up together for better suppression, in an attempt to control it. Bermuda is very hard to control and one shot of most anything does not work.
  3. General Agree with Ric, but can sometimes control with one application of fusilade, their are several different formulations
  4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to weigh in with the big boys, Ric and Tim,

We use three apps to control bermuda starting in late summer/early fall.

The first is fusilade and roundup and the next two are roundup only. About 5-10 days between apps. This way, when the time to reseed after the fusidlade appis done, which is 21-28 days, you are ready to go. We did this on several sites, and on one site, there was still some life in the bermuda. Also, don't forget about seeds if you are promisiing a wiregrass free area.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, I didn't dig up the roots to see if they were dead, but when I applied glyphosphate to bermuda this fall, I was seeing dead top growth with a single app. I assume the roots were dead too, but perhaps they're gonna come right back this spring.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. Try fusilade in spring when bermunda comming out of dormancy, if spraying in turfgrass, include a spray of 24-d also. I believe spring would be the best time.

Fall treatments would include a straight quick release n source before a hard frost, keep the bermunda from harding off
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of our properties have hybrid bermuda. Most popular turf grass in my area. I can tell you from experience how to kill bermuda. Irrigate it, fertilize it, pamper it, and take care of it. It will die deader than disco overnight! :)
  8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The best way to get rid of Bermuda, quit the property or move;)
  9. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

Seriously, bermuda is a stolon thus herbicides work to the stolon then stop. Several apps w/ a glysophate may be needed to gain control but I have seen bermuda with-stand such herbicides like paraquat!

Think of trying to control bamboo and that is what your up against w/ bermuda.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The best sure kill I have found is to turn you fertilizer spreader over with a full load of fert. Garanteed to have a large dead spot where the fertilizer lay. I am courious as to the pollution effect of over appling fertilizer to kill weeds verses spraying herbicides. Which would be the worst for the enviroment? I am not reccommending using fertilizer as a weed killer but I have seen a lot of lawns killed with over applications of fert.