glysophate tolerant tall fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey... I did a search, and this stuff is a topic we haven't discussed here.

So how about it?
    Who knows something about this stuff?
    What are some thoughts and opinions on this development?
    Good? BAD? Don't matter?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What's the purpose, for glysophate to kill the weeds but the fescue stays? What market would be interested in this type of turf and why? Don't most use glysophate as a total vegetation killer even though its not? Would it make broad leaf killing sprays obsolete? I mean if you could spray a lawn with roundup and everything is killed but the fescue that would be interesting. I'm sure I'm way off base here but it's the first I've heard of it.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The first you have heard of it? Really?

It's been around long enough now that it has found it's way into one of the tall fescue blends I use. There are a few of them now.

Yes, the point of it is to be 'tolerant' to glysophate so that you can spray and kill everything but the selected turf. But remember, it is only 'tolerant'... not immune. Specified rates and mixed with water only.

I'm trying to remain 'neutral' as the thread starter as to not influence the discussion until it gets going good.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

the closest i have heard was round-up ready bentgrass, which was in development in penn st. a couple of years ago but haven't heard much since.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I still have alot to learn as far as turf goes. But this business keeps me close to the kids so I'm learning.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Why not they have had Round-Up ready corn and soybeans for years.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, the only thing I know that is extremely resistant to glysophate is Ivy, and all you do is mix it twice as strong and apply in broad daylight and that takes care of it.

As for weed control, I might can see it but then they already have a wide range of selective and non-selective weed (and not lawn) killers out, for not too bad a price.

Could be I'm off base as well thou...

8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

What happens when it creeps into beds and other areas where it is deemed undesirable? Chem solution is no longer viable...

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

That would be my concern.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the problem: You don't re-plant yards every year like you do with corn and beans. So if you are in the fert and squirt business, going from lawn to lawn, how are you going to know what lawns are "round-up ready"???
    Also, I think it is just as cost effective to spray a selective herbicide as it would be to spray gly (I'm not sure what farmers a paying for gly but I know at Lesco, gly is just as expensive as a 3-way). The only thing I can think of that round-up ready grass would help with is crabgrass and really hard to kill weeds (violets). I guess if a guy timed his application right he could skip a pre-m application and just do one gly application to get broadleaf and grassy weeds.