GM 1500 or 2500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, May 29, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Okay...I've been doing alot of thinking over the last day and I think I will actually be going with a gas truck for my new one. But I just can't decide between a GM 1500 and a GM 2500. I will now be spending roughly $20k on the truck and going for a crew cab.

I've been doing some searching on the internet and I've come to the conclusion that the GM gas engines in these trucks are pretty good through 200,000 miles (with proper maintenance and care). I can find trucks with 50,000-80,000 miles pretty easily within my price range, and they're 2007's and 2008's. But I'm not sure if I should go with a 1500 or 2500.

My trailer doesn't have breaks on it, so having a 2500 would be nice for the larger brakes. It'd also be nice to have a 2500 for when I upgrade my trailer to an 18' open or enclosed. I'd like the truck to be able to do everything I need and then a little more. However, with the 2500 the down fall is the fuel mileage. I'd probably be looking at 14-15 highway and 10-13 city (depending on speed and driving habits).

With a 1500, it will be able to tow what I have now fine...braking may take longer though. It will also provide me with a smoother ride and better fuel economy, upwards of 20mpg on the highway. A 1500 would also be a more "nimble" truck, so parking in "tight" spots would be slightly easier. However, a 1500 doesn't leave me with much room to grow when I get a larger trailer and another mower on the trailer. I want to make sure that I don't reach the GCWR or come too close to it, the closer I come to the GCWR the more wear that is put on the truck.

My personal preferrence is a 2500, I like driving the bigger trucks...I think they have a better feel to them.

I just really don't want to step down to a 1/2 ton truck from my 3/4 ton and regret the decision. Nor do I want to get the 2500 and wish I got the 1500.

I need help!!!!

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

definitely a 3/4 ton. If you go with a 1/2 ton, chances are that you will regret it in a couple years and be back to square one looking for a new truck again.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't fool around with a half ton all they are is a daily driver with a pick up box you can't put any weight in them. If you do get a 3/4 ton you want one with a 8600lb or more gvw and the rear axle is a full floating not a semi floating axle.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'd love to be able to get better fuel economy with the 2500, but I'm thinking all ways to do that would be pretty expensive. The only down side to the 2500 is the fuel economy, which will kill me since I will be on the highway 2-3 days a week this year.

Otherwise, I love everything about the 2500 over the 1500.

5. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I worked my 1990 C1500 to death. It had over 200K on it and towed like a banshee, and hauled about 1000+lbs of service tools in the back. It had a raised cap that I bought for it, and I put 1/2" plywood down over the bed floor. It had the 175hp 5.0L V8 (non Vortec) and gave me NO problems. Now, a lot has changed in twenty years of course but for what it was, it worked fine and I never felt the need to get a heavier truck.

As for breaking, keep in mind the 3/4 tons have larger breaks primarily because they weigh some 500+lbs more than a similar half ton model, and can carry more payload, so it has to be able to stop accordingly. It won't decrease breaking distance by anything significant if you tow without trailer brakes. The most you want to tow with any full size truck without trailer brakes is 3000lbs. Over that, and you'll be asking for problems no matter the weight rating of the truck you have.

I'd go for the 2500 as well. Fuel economy is higher, sure, but it's less to worry about in a year or two should you decide to upgrade trailer/equipment to heavier units. I'd get a 2500 as well mainly because if I decide to do plow work, I'll be able to. Those that plow with a 1/2 ton, are nuts in my book. Even for smaller, so called "light commercial" applications, they're nuts to use a 1/2 ton and stay withing GAWR.

I might pick up a new 2011 Sierra with the gas engine, crew cab short box 4x4 guise if the price is right when they debut the new models. If not, I'll bite the bullet a bit and get a 2011 Ram diesel instead. I'm cheap don't you know.

6. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

Just get the diesel truck, specially if you have in mind of getting an enclosed trailer..:):):)

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A 6 liter in a 1500 doesn't get much better fuel economy than a 6 liter in a 2500/3500 srw. You'll need the weight capacity in this business. Skimp on other things, not your truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Most half ton trucks use the same size wheels as a 3/4 ton so your not gaining much in fuel in fuel economy. You want that little sticker that is on the door that says the gvw and a legal payload.

Your right foot is the make or break it in the fuel mileage.

9. Triple G Lawn and Snow

Triple G Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

I'd have to say go with the 2500HD, I have a half ton and every day I ask myself why didn't go bigger.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Ford F250.:waving: