GM 5.7L - Ford 5.4L

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, May 5, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Which of these two engines do you think is best from your experience? Which gets the best fuel mileage when towing? Which one lasts the longest? The reason for asking is because I need a more fuel efficient 1/2-ton van than my current one which has the Ford 351. It is great, but only gets about 15 mpg hwy. with gentle driving, and no trailer.
  2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

The Vortec and TBI 350 Chevys are excellent motors. Not terrible on mileage, plenty of power, and with proper maintenance run pretty much until you get tired of driving them. Water pumps on the newer ones are an issue, alot of people place the blame on GM's Dexcool anti-freeze. Google Deathcool for hours of fun reading. I don't really know anything about the 5.4s.
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

it could go either way. they can both get 20 on the highway.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im a ford guy but hate their gas engines, ford is notorious for exaughst manifold leaks and they all get bad go chevy
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I've got a 5.7l chevy. Its an awesome truck and a great engine. And sorry, you won't get 20mpg highway.
  6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

The 5.7L is a very nice engine, thats what my dads truck is
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

16 MPG is realistic.
  8. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

<< im a ford guy but hate their gas engines, ford is notorious for exaughst manifold leaks and they all get bad go chevy >>

Really? Hmmm, I have had three different Ford gas V8's, the 302, the 351, and the 4.6L Triton (which was the very best one). All three have been GREAT! The 351 gets HORRID mileage (15 mpg, no trailer, and very gentle acceleration), the 302 didn't get that great, but the 4.6 I had got incredible mileage (18.5 mpg), although that is NOT good for it's size. I completely agree that the Ford gassers don't get good mileage for their size, but they are great engines, and many people swear by them. When you compare the fact that my 302 Ford got 21 mpg in a Grand Marquis, and then our friend knows of people who get 30 mpg with the 350 Chevy in a comperable size Caprice, it's a no-brainer that the 350 wins very easily for fuel mileage. I was only wanting to know the 350 compared to the 5.4L Triton engine as far as real life gas mileage.
  9. thecollector

thecollector LawnSite Member

The tritons are also bad about head gaskets leaking oil on the pass. side. As far as mileage is concerned it's to close to call. Driving habits, vehicle load, and rear axle ratio will effect fuel economy more than any brand difference. We have a 04 Chevy with a 4.3 for customer support, on a recent trip I barely got to 18- and the van doesn't have much of anything in it. If it's that much of a concern drop some coin and pick up a sprinter chassis van.
  10. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I had a 1994 LT1 Caprice and, while I wouldn't call them liars, I would say that anybody who got 30mpg was either traveling 40 miles per hour or was using a very inaccurate gas pump. How fast were you going to get 21? My Caprice would, at best, get 25 mpg going 70ish on the interstate. I wouldn't expect a miracle.