1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

GM 6.0 Fuel Milage - Be honest!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by procut, Oct 15, 2010.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an '06 2500HD that I've owned for about 3 yrs. I like the truck, but the milage is so bad, I can hardly stand it. It is an '06 Reg. cab, 6.0 gas, auto, 4.10 axle. Currently has 62,000 miles. Pulling my mowing trailer that weighs about 4500# it gets maybe 8.5 mpg. Pullingmy dump trailer, milage drops another mile per gallon to about 7-7.5. I have new michelen tires with proper inflation, and a K&N filter. The truck is not driven with a lead foot, and has minimal idle time.

Just curoius what other owners are expirienceing for milage with these trucks.

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

13 highway. 7-8 pulling the loaded dump trailer. 9-10 towing the alum enclosed 1 mower. Okay with me. We gotta tow stuff, whataya gonna do?

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

That is what my 09 gets for mpg. I just got an 05 also I'm guessing it will get alittle worse with the 4sp tranny.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

yup mine is 6 speed too

5. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

01 w/133K 10-12 MPG

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what they get.

GM's have a very aggressive throttle plate to pedal ratio. Tip in is very aggressive. If you baby it off the line, it will improve.

Remember, you also have a LARGE powerband with the LS engine. From 2K to almost 6K your making great power. With the RPM's come more fuel. The 350's of yesteryear ran out of breath at 4500 rpm's. Bog the old 350's down....downshift, and they were almost instantly out of their power band. Todays trucks with the 4 and 6 speed trans put you in the sweet spot at each shift.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I am wanting one of these trucks so bad, but I know that will be a price to pay. I want to find around a 2000 3/4 ton HD type with a plow for around 6 grand, or so. I've seen a few nice ones occasionally, and hope I come across one in a few months when I'm ready to make a purchase.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Runner,

2000's were only LD 2500's

You really should be looking for a 2004 or newer (they changed body electronics in 2004)

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess I'm not alone then. Mine has the old 4sp tranny. Apparently the new 6 speed doesn't make that much differance then. No one else posted what back axle they have. I still think that you sacrifice 1-2 MPG with the 4.10 vs. the 3.73. Anyone else?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

3.73 wasn't an option with 4spd trans.

Not sure with the new 6spd trans as it has a lower 1st and another OD. Something tells me they still only offer the 4.10 with no other option.

The 4.10's help with mileage not hurt it. The LS doesn't have the <1500rpm power necessary to run 3.73's at "normal" highway speeds.