1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GM 6.5 Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowman, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Where to begin. I have a 1997 3500 5 spd dumper with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. In August it broke the crankshaft. The total bill was $18,700 CDN. Chevy mechanic and distict rep felt it broke due to the POOR DESIGN of the engine and 5 spd combo. After a lot of noise Chevy paid approx 1/3 of the bill. The truck is in excellent shape, well maintained and only has 140,000 kms on it. It now has a new factory crate engine, new turbo, new injectors, new brakes, new water pump, new alternator and probably more I can't remember. I find it hard to even call it a diesel compared to the 99 Powerstroke and 99 Cummins we also own. I would never buy another and after being a Chevy fan for over a decade their customer service will make it very difficult to ever own another.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Odin you don't even want me to start on these sick.5 POS. I have friends with them and friends that USED TO HAVE them. Every body hates them.

They wouldn't even fit the bill for a boat anchor. I hate the GM diesels so much that even if some body were to give me a vehicle with one in it, I would put it up for sale right away. Take the $$ from the sale and go buy a Power Stroke or Cummins.