1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GM and Toyota

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A.D Services, Dec 27, 2006.

1. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

so whats the deal is Gm being bought out by Toyota?????? idk i saw this on the news the other day.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't heard anything about them buying GM. Toyota is expected to pass GM next year as biggest automaker.

I own both now (2006 Chevy 2500HD 4wd Duramax, 2005 Toyota Sienna). This is the first GM I've ever owned, but about the 5th or 6th Toyota. IMO noone makes a better vehicle than Toyota. Nothing but quality and good service from mine.
  3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i heard it was Ford that is travelling to japan for talks with Toyota. we'll see what shakes loose. chevy is already tied in with isuzu.
  4. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Ford and Toyota are engaged in talks right now. They are telling the press they are just "relationship" talks right now. Basically Allan Mullay is getting to know his Asian counterpart a little better.
    It is highly doubtful that one will buy out the other, or even merge, as Toyota has little to gain from it. The talks will most likely lead to technology sharing in the production and design fields, as both can gain from this type of trade.
  5. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

well if toyota wants to keep up with ford, dodge, and chevy there gonna have to make a truck that can take a real beating. which none can as much as ford, dodge , and chevy. sure it could make a good truck to pull a 10' trailer and a 6.5 or 7 foot plow. right now toyota cant compare IMO. u may say toyota's last forever but they barely work. like my neighbor has a 1999 tacoma and hes like they last forever but his is only 7 years old. when my dads truck is over 12 years old. and stil running strong. thats JMO though.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

don't talk crap about trucks you can't even drive. Toyota's make some of the longest lasting engines and trucks on the market. I'm tired of listening to ignorant 14 year olds and rednecks dismissing a great auto maker. They don't produce a HD truck because they didn't have any desire to go into that niche. In the next 3 years I guarantee you will see a 1 ton pickup truck from them. and guess who be first in line to buy one
  7. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

stay tuned for the new full size tundra which is due out in the next 2 to 4 weeks. It's much bigger & stronger than anything they have made before. Also, they are already hinting that something even bigger is on the horizon.
  8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

They already make 1 ton and larger trucks available in other countries. I love Toyota's. I just hope they don't let their full line of trucks in the U.S. If they do it will be the death of the big three and I like the big three.:waving:
  9. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

if thats the case why are so many components of the pontiac vibe and the toyota matrix the same? i noticed this with many other chevys, pontiacs and some other makes that are gm
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Want out of a job?
    Keep buying Foreign.

Sorry, I had to say it. I know they have some of their plants in the USA, but profits still go back to Japan or whereever. Im a big 3 owner for life. Ive driven toyotas before, and I will admit they are nice. But I will still go back to my chevy or ford every day of the week....

They guys that live in MI, know what im talking about. Plants getting shut down left and right because people are buying foreign. The only thing really keeping some of these us automakers afloat are their trucks.

BTW: Diamler Chrysler isnt really apart of the Big Three, even though we STILL associate it with the Big Three, since Mercades owns 51% of Chryslers stock.