GM canyon/colorado???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Xpertise Lawn & Landscape, May 10, 2009.

1. Xpertise Lawn & Landscape

Xpertise Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Anyone running these trucks? Pics of rigs would be nice im looking into buying one thanks!
  2. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to pull a trailer I'd at least get a Silverado/Sierra. You'll be happier in the long run.
  3. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

i like the motor they use inline 5 i think almost 242 hp. i dont own one but i see a lot of them and i dont work on that many either so i think they are a solid truck i had one come in for a check engine light before inspection time but it was just a bad sensor and he was all set, the truck looked abused too with over 100k on it had hunting stickers all over it as well so from what i have seen they are a runner! buy one.
  4. Xpertise Lawn & Landscape

Xpertise Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

Yeah i think the inline 5 will be strong enough to pull my trailer. I also looked it up and it will hold a boss 7 foot plow no problem so thats a plus.
  5. hawgcaller

hawgcaller LawnSite Member

You can get the 5.3 V8 in certain models also.If power is your requirement.

I would be more concerned with the ability to stop a well loaded trailer, safely and quickly more so than power to pull it.
    Just my opinion about truck and trailers.
  6. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

They are one of JD Power lowest rated vehicles of all time. If you are looking at a midsized truck look at the Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma. Both offer more powerful V-6's with better towing capacity.
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I would get the Silverado as well, especially for plowing snow. I guess you didnt ask for opinions though. Sorry.
  8. Organicare of Fairfield

Organicare of Fairfield LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 4 door that i use as my estimating truck. Haven't done much work with it. Gets good gas milege compared to my 2500hd and i think it has plenty of power to pull a small trailer. So far I'm happy with it after 12000 miles since christmas.
  9. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Small trucks are a vanishing breed in this country, mostly due to the fact that manufacturers didn't make them a priority as they did high-margin larger trucks. The fact is, that some of the smaller units can haul just as much weight, and close to as much trailer load as thier base-line 1/2 ton trucks. However, they still don't really get all that great of mileage, even some of the Chevy 1/2 tons likely get better mileage than thier Colorado rigs. But for a lawn care business, they may be fine.

I think a great policy for getting a truck is to consider the application it will be used for, more than your personal preferance. I worked with a grounds crew in the Chicago area at a local Univeristy that had two identical 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton short-bed 4wd's with the small V8. Sounds like a strange unit? It was - and for a very good reason - these were thier parking lot plow trucks during winters, so they were a great size for that, and due to the short bed and regular cab, they also fit inside the garages we stored them in with the plow attached.

Buy what you need - that's my suggestion...
  10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 4-door Colorado at work........junk, its to low, its bottomed out many times.......speed bump type hills, plastic parts off the front/rear bumper pulled off, bed is worthless, to short...

My Tacoma will smoke that small Chevy every time...and its 13 years old...:)
    Last edited: May 11, 2009