1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

GM or Ford

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by knox gsl, Mar 18, 2013.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I am in the market for a newer truck to pull a mowing trailer. I am looking at getting a GM or Ford Gas burner. GAS ONLY I have nothing against diesel but that's not the best engine for the job. It will be used 95% of the time to pull a 6K lb trailer and have lots of stop and go driving. The engines I will consider are the 5.4 and the 6.0 as I don't think you can get the 5.3 in a 3/4 ton chassis. The biggest deciding factor is fuel consumption and making it to the 200,000 mile mark. Will look mainly at 2wd trucks.

The only modification I may make is a flat bed dump or dump insert to haul mulch in.

I'm not looking for a bashing thread but more or less a pros and cons thread.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ford gas trucks seem to be built though :waving:

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 6.2 l. Newer engine. The others are under power( especially 5.4 ) the 6.2 has 400 hp and is better on fuel than the rest

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Can't go wrong with a GM 6.0. :weightlifter: *newusflag*
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. johnslandscaping

johnslandscaping LawnSite Member

Gm 6.0 plus Chevy has less sag when loaded.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

the 6.2 is a beast, and its quite a bit better on fuel than the other. find someone who can tune it and it'll be even better. buddy of mine had a 6.2 1/2 ton with a tune and flowmaster, it ran 13.2 in the 1/4 mile and got 16mpg and he drove the piss outta it. totally different application but give you an idea on fuel consumption. 5.4 is a little underpowered in a 3/4 ton IMO, just means the engine has to work harder which burns more fuel.

7. knox gsl

I didn't really consider the 6.2 but will now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

I have a GM 6.0 and love it . A 6.2 could only be better !

9. knox gsl

What year did ford start the 6.2?

10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

6.2 was new for 2011