GMC 2500 blowin fuses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by General Grounds, Jan 21, 2005.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: i have a 93 gmc sierra 2500 that is blowing the fuse that runs from the battery to alt, its a 30amp. ill be driving the truck and it will lose all power out of no where. ive changed the alt. and battery, now im completely stumped. i would apperciate any ideas. also when the plow is attached it draws much power, plows is new. tony

2. randy448

randy448 LawnSite Member

Alternator is probably rated 90 amps or more. Fuse or fusible link would need that much rating or you will blow it in first few seconds every time engine starts. Find an electric shop,alternator rebuilder and let them check your system.

3. General Grounds

hey randy, this has been fused this way for years, just started giving me trouble. tony

4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

short. raw wires rubbing somewhere. which would result in a fire. check wiring harness from fuse panel to alt to batt.

5. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Check for an alternate 60A fuse, CB or fuseable link. There's usually a parallel breaker on the charging circuit. If the BIG one went, everything is trying to run off the 30A system fuse :(

Otherwise, you have a short somewhere.

6. General Grounds

:waving: thanks guys i replaced the 30 amp with the 60 amp fusible link all is good today. thanks