GMC 2500HD vs 3500 pickup?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Clay, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

There must be differences, but don't see what they are in the brochures or at the website.... Can anyone list the major differences between the two???

Thanks, Clay

ps... any comments on the duramax/allison combo???
  2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

By 3500, do you mean DRW (dual rear wheels) or are you talking about the new 3500 SRW (single rear wheels)?

The 2500HD has a gvw of 9200lbs.
    The 3500SRW has a gvw of 9900lbs.
    The 3500DRW has a gvw of 11,400lbs.

That is the major difference. The new 3500SRW will be available only in long box configurations with any cab config (reg, ext, or crew). The wheels will be 16x7 (2500hd has 16x6.5) and the tires will be 265/75/16E(2500hd has 245/75/16E). I think there are a one or two more leaf springs too but I could be wrong on that.
  3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks Ryan,

Sure seems like they are very close to the same vehicle built on the same frame... are the brakes any bigger on the 3500??? Have not decided if I want the dual rear wheels or not... need to get a crew cab and long bed though, so it won't be fitting in the garage anyway... might go for the 3500 dually... Not owning a dually before, are there any not so obvious drawbacks???

Thanks, Clay
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

There are no differences in the brakes. Pads rotors, etc. Everything is the same. I was just looking at this on the site the other day.

Anyone know where I can find how much my truck weighs? I couldn't find it on the chevy site. '03 2500HD ext. cab, long bed.

I would have loved to have the dually, but in the winter I usually pull my little 5x10 trailer or no trailer. So I couldn't justify the extra operating costs (more tires and gas). I wish they had the SRW 3500 when I bought mine. But my 2500HD pulls my 24ft. enclosed that weighs around 7000lbs loaded pretty well.
  5. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I heard somewhere that the 3500 SRW is supposed to come with overload springs as standard equipment just like the 3500 DRW. That is something that you can't get on a 2500 HD unless you go aftermarket.
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Barkleymut - This is the curb weight of your truck:

4x4 -- 5820lbs
    4x2 -- 5533lbs

I found the information here

I would go to a scale if you want an accurate reading though.
  7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Clay, if you decide to go with duals you might want to consider a 8 1/2' to 9' flat bed. A good steel flat bed will take the licking & keep on ticking.
  8. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

That's a good thought Bigfoot, but I am thinking about installing an Alumacraft dump insert to mainly catch mulched debris from a debris mulcher mounted on the front of a trailer... then (down the road) using the regular bed to tow a fifth wheel RV...

Later, Clay

ps.... I did get a brochure and there seems to be much more difference between the one ton dually and the SRW than the 2500HD and the 3500SRW... much stronger suspension on the dually.... wondering how it rides without a load???

Probably like a truck!!! :)