GMC 2500HD w/ 6.0 gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Oct 5, 2011.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm thinking about getting one. I know the mpg wont be great but I'm only getting about 7.5 with my Dodge 6.7 diesel. :dizzy:

The Dodge does good for a truck on the hwy empty, but I have a 8.5X20 enclosed behind it most of the time.

Avg mpg is 11.1. :cry::cry:

I'm done with diesel, with all the emissions junk they are putting on them it kills the mpg and causes other problems.

So, does anyone pull an enclosed trailer with a 2500HD 6.0? How does it it do and what is your mpg?

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one and pull a 8.5x16 daily and get 8 mpg religiously! I also have 33" tires that do not help either. No hills here, the 6.0 tows great. I've had this trailer for about 5 years and am hoping to get 200k miles out of my truck (currently at 133k).

Btw, if anyone needs tires, I highly recommend nitto dura grapplers, switched over to HT from AT. What a difference!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I tow my 6 ton mini with it. It runs out of chassis before motor. If your having trouble pulling it, you probably shouldnt be pulling it.... in my case its my only truck and only vehicle.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had 2 of the 2500 GMC's with the 6.0 gas. Terrible fuel mileage just driving around, and worse pulling a heavy trailer. I pulled a 16' enclosed trailer loaded with my stump grinder, and tools and supplies. The trailer grosses out at 6,900#. Trucks pulled it just fine, but ave. fuel mileage when towing around this area was 8-9MPG.
    I got rid of them pretty quickly. now, I have a F250 with the V10 gas engine. Pulls great and mileage when towing, averages 11.
    Go figure. Bigger engine, but better fuel mileage.
    The 6.0 was weak when towing my 20' gooseneck loaded with a Bobcat CTL. The V10 pulls it better than my old 7.3 Powerstrokes did.

5. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

I had one I sold 2 years ago. 11 to 12 empty and 7 to 8 loaded. You would have some savings with the gas being cheaper than diesel. If you could get out of your Dodge without losing too much money. Is it an auto or manual? My brother gets about 10 pulling and 16 empty with his 2010 3500 dually, pulling 12 to 15000 lbs, and it's a manual.

Have you looked into the DPF delete on your Dodge?

6. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6.0 in my 1500. I pull a 8.5x20 enclosed and it gets around 7-8mpg. Trailer weighs around 7000lbs with all the equipment and goodies in it. I was thinking about selling it and getting a ram 2500 lol.

7. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

How are you guys getting 12 mpg unloaded and 7-8 loaded?

I have the 6.7 and get 21-23 hwy no trailer and 15-17 towing a 31 foot center console offshore boat or my work trailers. You guys must be driving the living hell out of your Dodges!

8. LBA1999

LBA1999 LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 GMC 2500 HD with a 6.0. It is a great plow truck. Have 410 rear reg. cab long bed. If your going to plow with it you will def. need rear bags to level the truck after cranking up the front torsion bars. As far as towing, I have towed my 20' deckover with a 4000# tractor, a 7000# farmall antique tractor, and numerous equipment and suburbans, trucks, etc. I have also towed my 12k dump trailer with probably 14-15k of weight in it many times and it doesn't like it. It tows okay but rides rough I need rear bags the 6.0 pulls the load but is working. If you are in a hurry you will have to floor it. mileage is 10 empty around town, 14- 15 on the highway and WAY less than that with a load. with the trailer you have my truck would prob. get 6-7 mpg and you will not have the power you are used to with that Cummins. You should get way better mileage than you are. Is the truck modded or chipped. A chip, emissions delete, and exhaust may go a long way to solve your mileage problems. Cummins trucks get great mileage and your truck has way more power than a 6.0

9. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Is everything stock or do you have the emissions stuff taken off with a tuner/programmer?

Oops, didn't see the last post before I posted this.

10. sideliner

sideliner LawnSite Member

I have a 2011 6.o gmc crew it gets 16 mpg hiway empty and between 8-11 towing. I tow 10-15000 lbs with it. I also have 3 2007 lbz duramax trucks and they average about 10-20% better fuel mileage than the 6.0 The 6.0 tows well when you get into the higher rpms. it does not tow like the diesel but I paid almost 10k less than new diesel. No DEF no $75 oil changes and no $100 fuel filter changes every 12500 miles.