1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

GMC 5.3L Vortec Engine with Active Fuel Management

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by joed, Jan 23, 2010.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone own a GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado equipped with the 5.3L Vortec engine and active fuel management. If so, what type of fuel economy are you getting? I was considering getting an new GMC Sierra with this set-up. Fuel economy figures are impressive but they come from government ratings which are a lot different than real world figures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

I have one best I ever get 16mpg. The dealer told me I would get close to 20 but average is probably 13-14.

3. joed

Thanks for the response Rungreen. I currently have a 2000 Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L engine. We usually get 13 mpg in city driving with it. I'm looking for another truck, more for personal use than anything else, but I want good fuel economy. I've narrowed my choices down to:
    Toyota Tacoma with the V6
    Sierra
    F150.

The tacoma is a nice truck but up here in Canada, it's more expensive than the Sierra and F150. Maybe the 4.8 Vortec would be a better choice or the F150?

4. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Chevy w/ the 5.3 but it is Flex and not AFM. It gets around 18mpg on regular and 16 w/ flex.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the toyota v6 dosnt get any better mpg than a chevy v8. i know cause i have both. the 5.3 is an awesume engine

6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the full size, nice to have that extra truck that could handle a trailer if need be.

7. joed

Thanks for the information. This is what I needed to hear. I don't know how prices are down in the U.S. but here Toyota is crazy with its prices for trucks. They quoted me $36 000 for the double cab 4WD V6 toyota tacoma. You can get the Sierra or F150 for about $5000 less.

Do you have the 5.3 vortec? If so, what do you get for fuel economy?

Does anyone drive a 2009 Ford F150 with the 4.6 V8 3 valve engine? If so, what's the fuel mileage on that.

Thanks

8. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

Mine is a year and a half old and i love the thing.
    Mileage wise highway ranges from 16-19mpg depending on driving style
    Towing the equipment is around 13-14mpg