GMC 5500cc 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by talus, Oct 23, 2007.

1. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on the topkick 5500 4x4 cc. Need a bigger truck and am wondering if I should go this way or an Iternational 4900. If I go GMC it will be new. Used International if I go that way. My trailer weighs 4k and th sr80 comes in at 9k. Idon't do much cutting. Lot's of clean ups, new installs ,few hardscape jobs, some out door kitchens and some brush clean up. I was thinking of putting on one of those uniscaper type bodies if I get the GMC. Hey KSSS if you are reading this how do you like it?

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

these trucks are not apples to apples!
    you area talking about a new 4wd 19.5k gvw to a used 2wd 33k gvw truck.

maybe you should look at an international 4200 or 4700 which would both be closer....

do you have your CDl's? you are going to need them to pull that trailer with either one. you might be able to pull the sr80 on the back of one of those to save from getting your a's.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would assume he has a CDL as his current trailer must be a 12-14K GVWR.

Pull that trailer with anything and you need a CDL.

4. talus

Yes I do have my CDL. I hear what your saying not exactly apples to apples I'm trying to think ahead. I would like to have 4wd. Don't need it most of the time but it's nice to have when you do. Same for the crew cab. I say the 4900 because it would be nice to be able to haul heavier loads at times. It would come in handy for some of the larger jobs but don't want to drive it around doing cleanups and such. Kind of the samething Iwent through getting the trailer. Could have got a 12k but went with the 14k because the mini ex i was thinking of getting was right around 12k. Thank for the response.

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 2007 Chevy 4500 crew cab and like it alot. The 4X4 option is expensive I think it cost $5,000-$6,000. The cab is huge we can carry 5-6 guys comfortably.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am kind of in the same spot. I need a truck to carry 6 guys. I'd rather have a large truck, but it seems like its very difficult to find a crew cab in the internationals, and i frankly can not afford a new medium duty truck ordered the way i want it.

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

rusk how about a older 4 door kodiak with a cat in it, something like a cab and chassis then you can equip it how you want. what kind of box are you looking for on the back.

8. talus

I came across a company called Opdyke. I'm not sure exactly where they are located but have quite a few trucks. I did see a couple older international crew cabs a while back. Also if your in the market for a bucket truck they have a bunch of them to. I saw a place down in Jersey called Coast City I think, they had some International dumps to. That might be close for you Rusk.