GMC C5500 6 SPEED vs ALLISON AUTO

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Canon Landscaping, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking at a used c5500 with the 6 speed manual and was wanting to know if anyone has one with the manual all the ones I have seen have the allison auto and the dealer told me that gm is not offering the manual on the 07 models. Is there a disadvantage to having the 6 speed? Do they hold up as well as the allison? If anyone has any experience with one of these trucks with the 6 speed manual I would like to hear your opinion on it.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I cant speak for the truck it self but from what my research has found, the manual trannys or Eaton Fullers which is a good medium duty trans. Spicers are also good for medium duty trucks! The company my dad works for has a few trucks (freighliner Fl70's) with eaton fullers in them and they seem to hold up pretty well.

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

canon,
    i can't say much about the manual tranny. i was looking for one with a manual when i bought mine with the allison auto. the automatic has been nothing short of amazing so far. if the 6 speed is a allison i wouldn't worry about it at all. i would say the manual would have more smaller expenses while the auto is more if it goes. how did the truck drive?
    good luck

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If the 6sp. is the same one chevy uses in their Kodiac's, stay away from it. Nothing but trouble in 6 different trucks. Mind you now, this was 5 years ago, but some things never change.

5. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing some research and the 6 speed is a ZF the same one used in the 2500 and 3500 trucks everyone i talked to except the guy selling the truck said that the clutch doesn't hold up and that the allison is the way to go