GMC W3500 cabover

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by caseysmowing, May 24, 2013.

1. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Going down the interstate the other day and it felt like it lose power and the speedometer was going all over the place. Slowed down and put it in D3 and got it home without issue. Fluid is level is good in trans. Didn't feel like it was doing the same thing in D3 but I didn't gag it to find out. Any suggestions?? It's a 2003 with 115k 5.7 4 speed auto.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Gas engine without turbo? At 1st I would have said turbo died, is there crap in the fuel or a bad filter? Computer acting up?

3. caseysmowing

I'm thinking it's going to be the trans just because the speedometer went crazy until I put it in D3. Going to change filter and fluid just didn't know if it could be a computer issue or something. The speedometer going up makes me think the clutches were slipping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

Check for codes in the computer. Some codes will not turn on the check engine light. Autozone and similar stores will read the codes for free.

5. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Also, not sure if that trans has one, but check into the modulater(sp) valve, I've had these go in older vehicles causing odd issue's

6. caseysmowing

I will look into these suggestions. So busy right now its hard to find time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The speedometer going crazy makes me think speed sensor. Does the truck have ABS, and if so is the ABS light on?

8. caseysmowing

Yes the abs is on and the check engine light. I haven't ran it for codes yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. caseysmowing

Can advance/ autozone check the codes on cabovers?? They don't have w3500 on there systems for parts in my area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

They should be able to check codes. It is a Chevy 350
    Posted via Mobile Device