1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GMC2500 or F250

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Hoopsfan, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a new truck and can't decide on what to buy. I've always been a GMC guy, but am leaning to the F250. Anyone have comments on the two?
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a 2002 F-250 in may, best thing I've done in along time, would never go back to a gas. I pull a 20' Trailer, loaded with a 60" ZTR, 48" hydro w/b, 2-timmers, 2 backpac blowers, 4-wheel edger, and vacuum systems for both mower, also a 21" mower. In the truck bed I have a fully loaded toolbox, and a 40 gal gas barrel. Anyway alot of weight, and it pulls it like nothing behind me, like I said no more gassers for me. Oh ya I average 17 mpg's, pulling the trailer, and I run it hard, I have just rolled over 11000 miles. The trailer alone weighs 1900 Lbs
  3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now you can get a heck of a deal on a new Dodge Cummins. Around $28,000 - $31000 for a 4X4 quad cab, depending on how you want it loaded. More grunt for the money!
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Dodge sells their trucks cheap so somebody would actually buy them personally I would never buy a Dodge truck especially if its gonna be a work truck. Been using Ford trucks from F-150s to L9000s for work trucks never let me down yet and probably never will oh ya I live in Ford country where 6 out of 10 trucks are Ford. Seeing a Dodge being used for work is as rare as seeing a pig fly Fords and Chevs have proven to out work any other brand.

Anyhow you can't go wrong with either truck is this truck going tobe 2 or 4 wheel drive if its going tobe 4x4 Ford does have the edge because of the leaf springs and straight axle. If its going tobe 2wheel Ford and Chev are about equally matched the twin I beam suspension in the Ford is good but the A arm ISF in the Chev rides nicer. If your already a GMC man why don't ya go for another GMC you know what they are like and they are proven in your mind.

Good luck on the decision I would also look at SRW F-350s and 3500s a bit more legal payload for not much more money.
  5. Randy J

Don't know about BC, but here in the States, Dodge is a very popular work truck. Dodge arguably has the best diesel engine in a "light" duty truck. And Dodge is the only truck to put a solid front suspension under their 4X4's, instead of IFS.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Looked under a Ford? All 350's made have solid fronts. Since 99 all SD Fords F250-550 have solid front/leaf springs.

I will not take part in the truck debate, but at least get the facts straight.

Dodge actually uses a solid axle, coil spring front. Not that this is better or worse then a Ford. Chevy uses a IFS setup common on lighter weight trucks.
  7. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. BTW, it will be a 4x4 and I will be pushing snow with it.

8. Randy J

With a 3/4 Dodge you get a Dana 60 solid front axle. With a 3/4 Ford you don't get a solid front axle. You have to step up to a 1 ton, SRW. Actually all 3 brands have their strong points, and all 3 have their problems, but to say a Dodge isn't a good work truck is plain crazy. Dodge may not make the best interior, but they do make a darn fine work truck. I'll take my Dodge with 125,000+ miles anyday over a Ford, or Chevy with compareable mileage.
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Randy WHY DOES MY F 250 (3/4 ton) HAVE A SOLID FRONT AXLE?????? And why does the book say it is a DANA 60?????????????? With the DANA 80 on the rear. Before you make a blanket statement you need a trip down to the local Ford dealer. I can't believe you keep insisting that it is not a solid axle when you were told several times they were.

I will agree that the Cummins WAS a good engine. That is before it was made a 24 valve. Now they are TRASH. Just ask a mechanic. Local rental store has a 24 valve Dodge, he has the reciepts to prove the $15,000 in warranty work done on that engine. He says he will never buy another Dodge.
    I dearly wish I could get a 12 valve engine in my F 250, then I would have the best truck around.

As for the original ?, get the F 250 PS. You won't regret it.
  10. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

The fire department I work for uses F-350 chasies and disel engines for thier medic units.. Now these trucks, I am told, are over there weight rating with 2 people on board. The department has trucks that have 180,000+ miles on them and they are still going! Now remeber, these trucks are not driven like the avarge daily driver. They go form cold to running 60mph at the drop of a dime and are driven VERY hard. I am going to get a F- series super duty truck based on how well these trucks last on our fire department and because of how few problems we have with them.
    Just a side note, the manager on thr fire department vechile shop used to be a chevy man, he said that the ford medic units converted him.