Go ahead and laugh but.......

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this would be a fun thread considering it is crappy out for most of us and we could use a laugh. I know we all have one or two or a few of these on our machines. I think it would be fun to see some of eachothers work that is embarrassing, something from when we first started out. But I think it is only fair that you cannot make fun of someones picture, unless you post one of your own.

I was ONCE guilty of slivers, 18 months ago I did this:

Embarrassing.gif

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I have seen a lot worse work then that!!!!!!!!!:)

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... I got slivers in my butt once. :p

4. Drafto

You guys have to have some bad picks to post. The slivers actually don't look too bad, but when I went back to do a yearly inspection, they looked horrible.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Drafto: We never make mistakes*.

:laugh:

*That we photograph. :D

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan, as I told you on the phone, I thought of starting a "first jobs" thread similar to this. I love it. I will try to find some pics of some of my first eyesores.

LET'S GET READY TO BE HUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBLED!

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I too am guilty of the sliver method. Both of these show sliver cuts, but in the second one, the base is 6" of CLEAN stone w/ a stonedust setting bed that we tamped 3 times.:nono: :nono: :nono: :dizzy: These pics were taken yesterday...j/k.
    P.S. the clean stone patio still looks good to this day....believe it...or not!

Chris

8. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, there is some margin for error for beginners, but the job in the first pic should be punishable by death. That was HORRIBLE. I can't believe you're in my circle of trust.

9. Drafto

Alright, this is not really a bad paver mistake, but it is embarrassing. This was a photo taken for insurance reasons that a gas line was not buried 18" down. Little did I know, it doesn't matter how deep they are, if you don't call before you dig and you hit one with a skidsteer, on a Sunday, with "on-call" gas company employees making triple time, it costs about $3,000. On the bright side, if you do call before you dig and you still hit one, it does not cost a dime to have repaired. Also, there is a good chance you liability insurance won't cover it, b/c YOU broke the law when you didn't call before you dug.

I will never forget sitting on the curb 100' outside the block that was evacuated thinking........just no ones house blow-up PLEASE! Mean while the guy with the gas sniffer thing is searching houses.....firetrucks.......even a guy from the paper asking me if I was a victim, I told him yes but I had "no comment"

gas.jpg

10. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

Drafto: If it makes you feel any better I hit a gas line two years ago while I was edging a mulch bed. It couldn't have been more than 4" deep. The gas company aparantly subbed out some of their work and half assed it.