Go ahead...let him try it!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Aug 30, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Hired a Hispanic trimmer guy (3) months ago and used him in that capacity alone. I'm running behind this week and dropped him at a job with a pair of echo hedge trimmers and said "Show Me!". WOW!!! This guy is an artist with the trimmers. He had never touched them before, anywhere! I have since put him on (3) other large jobs and he is unbelievable. I've been doing it for (15) years and I feel like he is 2-3 notches above my performance, which I thought was great.

Question, do you have any untapped talent in your organization?

2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

That's great. Unfortunately my experiences have gone the other direction, they tell me they have plenty of experience working trimmers, blowers whatever. Then when we get on the property I have to show them how to start it! Finally have assembled a solid crew, I send em out by themselves once a week.

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Thank your lucky stars and give the man a raise!

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Buy him lunch, its cheaper than a raise. Give him a raise next year. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, my experiences so far are to the contrary as well. One day I hope to find someone who exceeds... hell.... MEETS my expectations of them.

Kevin

5. Kate Butler

Ok, you buy him lunch & I'll give him a raise. Whose crew do you think he'd rather be on??

6. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Way ahead of you. I cover lunch on a daily basis and gave him a $1.00 increase. He is thrilled about his job, and I have secured a great employee.

7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I was being slightly sarcastic. But in reality, everytime an employee does something special, it dosent necessarily mean they need a raise. A pat on the back and some recognition can be just as effective for moral, and cheaper on the pocketbook, thats all I was saying. Raises (in my opinion) should be given out at regular intervals based on merit, not based on merit at irregular intervals (i.e. whenever he does something good).

Kevin

8. Kate Butler

I would agree that raises on an irregular schedule create confusion, but the original post said the man was hired 3 months ago. I think 3-4 months is an adequate amount of time to evaluate performance and bump a raise if merited.