Go ahead on new mower!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawnsmithcare, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

Well my dad moved to Florida awhile ago but I was talking to him today and he said I could finance a mower under his name since I am not 18. So my choice is between scag or cucadet. But I don't know which one. Any suggestions?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

If price doesn't matter so much then go with Scag. The cub is cheaper but I have a '03 m60 and it cuts ok but I wish it would stripe better, ride better, but most of all I wish it was faster. On flat land I run circles around it with my new gravely and the gravely cuts better at faster speeds too. I like the turf tiger and I'm thinking maybe next year trading the cub in for one with the DFI motor.

3. Lawnsmithcare

Thank I have the 05 cub and it's nice but I really like the turf tiger and with the new velocity plus cutter deck its amazing but I need to look into th price for one of though on Monday.

4. BOWHUNTER12

BOWHUNTER12 LawnSite Member

Scag's are big $$$$ I'm not sure what the advantage is? I've used quite a few mowers and I couldn't tell. I bought a new Emark.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Scags are built slightly better but most of all is they have a proven track record for dependability, quality, etc. There easy to work on, they leave a nice cut and from my peronal expierence a scag is better about not tearing up the ground when you turn. That was the main reason I'm thinking about getting rid of my cub, it tears it up nearly every time no matter what I do.

6. Lawnsmithcare

hmm my cub doesn't have that problem.

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

The local dealer said they had several other people complain as well but they couldn't give me an answer as to how I could fix it. I know how to use it we've had several z's over the years. But it got to the point that I bought a smaller Husky 23/52 to use and it cut pretty good and didn't tear anything up. So now I have a M60 w/ only like 150 or so hours that mainly just sits in the shop and sometimes i use it to cut our 7 acres here but no more commercial use for it.

8. Lawnsmithcare

Hmm I work at my cub dealer and we haven't had many guys come in with that problem. Thats interesting. And I mean I haven't had that problem either and as far as I am concerned it stripes really well.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

We have centipede and bermuda here and neither are great to stripe. Th cub cuts pretty good on level ground but the plastic roller doesn't have enough pressure for a good stripe and most around here don't even know what striping is so it's not the end of the world I guess.

10. Lawnsmithcare

Oh I see. I mean right now at my work we have a scag wildcat with a 61inch deck 26hp LQ kaw engine for $9499 so i don't know.