go big or stay small

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lgi, Sep 30, 2002.

1. lgi

lgi LawnSite Member

:confused:
    I dont know if i should stay small or go big. I have 85 accounts and run 2 people im 17 and love doing what i do.I have 3 greatdane mowers so i could go biger what should i do

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

85 accounts, 3 Z's and two employees at age 17? WOW! I'd say you're already "big". I'm 15 and can't imagine that many at that age (wouldn't wanna be that big really until after college). Congratulations easy to see you've worked to get where you are.
    I don't know if I would wanna have more than one or two helpers, just too stressful :( An' I don't have the patience :mad:
    LOL :p
    For right now I think most guys here would tell you not to get bigger until you're out of school. Enjoy your youth they'll say. I agree.
    Later,
    Eric

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Going bigger will also add bigger headaches. Its great that you love what you do, I do too! When you add more mowers and more equipment, you of course add overhead. If you don't watch out you can end up with a smaller profit, and have to worry about it more. Stay how you are right now thats my advice!

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

4. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

I dont knowif you are plannin gon going ot college but i am now in my sophomore year of college and its hard as hell to run any size business while at school,. There just isnt enough time too do everythgi and you are at school so you have to leave time to party and if you are running a business you wont have time I KNOW! So it really depends on what you wanna do about college.

5. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

If in fact your at that point at the age of 17, I would say go big.

How do you handle current liability issues? Or is that your parents problem?

6. lgi

lgi LawnSite Member

ok im 17 so i became Inc. so on paper im pres. and my dad is v pres. so that is how i have 2 mill on my liability

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

So what kind of equipment do you run besides just Great Dane's. I'm just interested cause it sounds like you have a good business with much potentila for the future. What kind of lawns do you do? I agree with the other guys, stay where you are and get a degree incollege first. JMHO Peace!

8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Only you know your markets potential. How much profit per gross sales are you making? will going big increase are decrease profit?

9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

For 17, you seem to have a great thing going there. I am just guessing but you would or should be bringing in at least $2500 a week, that is great money. Just make sure you have the neccessary insurance for liability and enough to cover your payroll.
    I would have to say that staying in school is the best idea and get a degree ... you never know if this is definately what you want to do for the rest of your life and an education, whether it be for business or for soemthing else would help you in the long run.
    If you can get bigger and still stay in school and go to college, then go for it ... if you don't think you can handle getting bigger and going to college, then stay where you are..... EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT !!!!

10. lgi

lgi LawnSite Member

this year all gross 60,000
    3 greatdane standups
    3 johndeere weedeaters
    2 johndeere backpack blowers
    1 johndeere hand blowers
    2 johndeere pushmowers
    2 trailers
    2 trucks