Go big with Yellow Book ad?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Jun 10, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I put this in this forum because I want to expand that part of my business. I went through the yellow book and all the big ads under "lawn maintenance" are marketing chem apps. I hear so much how the yellow page ads don't work. The largest I have ever used is slightly smaller than a business card and has never brought in much new business. Most of the time, not even enough to pay for the ad. I am think of running an add the size of 4 business cards standing upright. The cost will be around $4000. I have seen one guy in there for the last 3-4 years and has always gone with a big ad, so I guess it have been working for him. I would have to sign at least 16 new clients to generate enough revenue to pay for the ad. Actually that is not true because I am not figuring cost of materials, but roughly.

Anywho, has anyone gone big and made a success or failure.....I would like to hear your story. Popultion that the book would reach is around 600,000 and approx 355,000 books are deliverd.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

For what it's worth I advertise in the yellow pages and even though my ad is VERY SPECIFIC I get a high percentage of calls for services that I do not offer.
    I think yellow pages are a waste.

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I placed an ad this year for the first time for the same reasons you mentioned. I have gotten two calls. One was a crazy lady who wanted me to nuke every bug on her property. and the other was I think a competetor looking for an over the phone quote, the address didn't exist. I think a bery basic ad is all I would ever do. $4000,no way, not here, use it on some very nice news paper ads or on equiptment. As you can tell i'm very disapointed with the phone book ads. :angry:

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a business card and a half in both major yellow pages here. I have had more calls this year than any other year for one time jobs and quite a few annual contracts. I find that most commercial will not call you unless you are in the yellow pages.
    Now since my second year I have tracked yellow page sales. My first year was 3265.00 total cost of adds were 850 for both. Last year was 7820 and some change total cost was 920. This year so fare is 17896 and cost of add was 960. I find that with the 100-200 yellow page adds for maintenance that stepping it up slightly works and have talked to a couple of the larger companies that stepped down and their sales are down this year. Now I am only talking YP add that landed me work not flyers or door hangers and resigning customers.
    I feel that if marketed properly YP works.

Now the down side. I find that sometimes when I am looking for something common I cant find it in YP add because it is under something so far off what I am thinking. This is why I think some of you are not getting many calls.
    That and the add must be catchy. I list most major services that way I do not get calls for things I cant or wont do.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i advertised in yellow book. waste of money. i recently recieved a letter from an attorney, there is a class action against yellow book for "making false promises" to sell thier advertising space. it seems that they "blow smoke up your butt" to get your money. they tell you that u will get x amount of calls, thier clients get the most exposure, etc, when in fact most people who advertised there got less than adequet response. pass