Go figuire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgtgm5, Jun 13, 2002.

1. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Today i Went to give a bid on a over grown Yard that was up to three feet. Well when i pulled up I first said no way am I doing this for change so gave my bid and they said no. Well me and the son got to talking that his mother had cancer and was bed ridden and she was in bad shape. So, then after talking i went to my truck and the neighbors asked if i was mowing the yard.
    I responded with saying no and i was going to my truck to go, well i took a look at the yard and then remembered the story the son talked about. Well, i do have a big heart so i went to the door and told them that I would like to cut the front of the yard. he asked me how much, i said , this is on me. So I cut the yard and did a very good job. Well the mother wanted to meet me, and i go in and shes in the bed smoking, five packs a day, thats why she has cancer.
    Well I still feel great about doing what i did but then i ask myself, Would have i did that knowing that her cancer was brought on by herself. I feel kinda bad but I wonder cause i was thinking that this was none of her doing........... I dont know but i feel that this experiance ruined the next who is in need ... Any input, thanks, Gabe
  2. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

Seems like you care more about the mother than her son does... Why didn't he mow the yard? Some people!
  3. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Get this, she has two sons and when i took a look at there mower one of the sons was in the garage smoking pot with his friends, now i dont know these people and i did say something to the effect that if you werent smoking pot you could have been helping your brother and i cut the yard. The older son i was talking with came out and took my weed whacker and help out,,, It was tall. anyhow, i did and she was very nice and polite
  4. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

You did a good deed for someone who needed a hand.you should feel good about it.:angel:
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the fact she was smoking just means shes human and subject to faults as the rest of us are. the price for some,just higher than others.u did the right thing ,but remember their life is theirs to make ,whatever it is.. in fact u just did the same thing . made yourself a little better man..
    goodluck brother.
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

You just added good karma to your reserves no matter what the cause of her disease.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its compassion that you have but don't lose it. I have been a firefighter/paramedic for 17 years now and I have seen this time after time.
    So she has cancer from smoking and she still smokes. I have seen this in other addictions also, namely true alcoholics. I talked to one before he died at 24 years old and he said that he wouldn't wish that disease on his worst enemy. Some people really have no control and it isn't their fault.

You know that you felt bad for the person without meeting them, regardless of the situation. Its compassion. Don't lose it.

We are really not here to judge others. Feel good in the fact that you helped someone out that needed help. You might have felt taken advantage of but if you did not cut it that day who would have?
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Its people like you doing the kind of things that you did for this woman that make things just a little bit nicer in our world. Please keep it up.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

She's still dying. And looks like she has 2 useless son's. You did this for her not them. Who cares if they benefit from it.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

e few yrs ago, i had a call from a guy who was dying of cancer, while i was working, i heard him on the phone making funeral arangements, trying to get the best price as he had been sick for quite some time and was near broke. i felt so bad, i mowed for the rest of the season, and till his death the next spring, at no charge. the last thing he said to me was a message on my machine, "it is good to know there r still good people in this world, god bless u". if he had 5 brothers and 20 sons, i would still do it for free, with no regrets