Go Figure:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 26, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Just got a call today from a woman in Florida seeking to hire us.
    I was confused at first when she told me she was from Florida. I thought maybe she was going to pay our airfare down there. ;)

Then she explained that a relative had sent her our advertisement and she was looking to acquire our services for her other home that she owns here in PA.

Just goes to show how far your advertisements can reach. :)

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last season I had bills going to Texas and Florida. THey to owned houses close to me. Made it nice, no one to come out and slow me up!!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Way to go Jodi. :)
    That is always good to hear instead of someone stole my acounts. Great to hear a good story. :)

4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Thats Great.....

Kinda makes ya wanna spend some more money on advertisements!

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Whether it was the flyer or from your commercial, you are in fact a national celebrity. I have heard of a few people who have done this type of thing, but I personally would stray away from it.

The guy used to take photographs of the property after mowing it and then send it to the homeowners and they would cut him a check.

Too much circular file material for me.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    Kris

6. the guy i used to work for (a good friend for many years) cuts a couple of places for a guy out on candlewood lake, we went there for one house every other week. we are in westchester. it was a good 45 minute ride maybe 1/2 hr. from the nearest account. apparently he paid very well though. the guy has houses all over the world and would send my friend checks from germany, or egypt or other places overseas.

7. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

We have several out of State invoices
    going out, several are gifts to there
    older parents that can't take care of
    thier lawns and the kids pay for it.
    Only one vacation home (who wants to vacation
    in ohio) and that one goes to florida..
    So way to go Jodi and there will be more to
    come..and I'm sure of that from the knowledge
    you have express through past lawnsites posts.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Four years ago, I left a supply of business cards with a local retailer. On Memorial Day weekend, I got a call from a person residing across PA (I'm near Pittsburgh, she lives in Philadelphia). Her mother had died and she was left as executrix of the estate. Now she needed somebody to mow the lawn. At that time, the last mowing was in August the previous year. Yea - 8 hours of work to get it cleaned up.

But, here we are, still mowing. The house remains vacant (dispute between sisters). A quick job, easy money because is is very close to another account.

The only word from the executrix in four years has been checks. They have somebody locally checking on the vacant house, so apparently no complaints.

Last season I got a new account from an ad of a competitor! He placed an ad in early season, but overloaded himself (working solo). He was working near me one day and gave, yes GAVE, three accounts - all good ones. Two months later, a lady called me. She cut his ad in early season from the paper, saved it. When she wanted help, she called him. He didn't need the work, but gave her my name. The property was well located for my routes.

Strange how some work comes.