Go for it or play it safe...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Recently come across an oportunity to go full time and possibly quit the day job...

here's the situation...

Found an opportunity to bid a school district, total of 8 locations. Totals around 65-70 acres of mowable area. I've ran some numbers and have my bid close. This is a two year contract. I think this combined with my existing accounts and a reasonable growth expectation for next year will put me at or maybe just a little above what I'm making now at my 8-5. This would require the purchase of some more equipment, and I have a couple possibilities for help (cheap or even free). Not really worried about handling the large account. I also realize that these types of bids typically go pretty cheap as far as $ per acre.

If it was just me this would be a no-brainer. I am married with 4 children, oldest in second grade... Obviously my benefits mean a lot to me at my current job. I am also not very happy with my current job... typical corporate politics and BS.

Huge leap of faith... very possibly a big payoff, very possibly a big loss...

Any words of encouragement or caution?

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

Oportunity ??

a little more or less money.
    Lowest bidder.
    Buy more equipment.
    using cheap or free help.
    no benefits
    wife & 4 children under 7 years old.

Sounds like a WIN to me:confused::confused::confused:

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I went for it. The last day on my "office" job is Oct 24. Went to full time mowing this summer along with the other full time job. It was a lot of long days, but well worth it. We are a one crew operation with 240 acres of mowing. My wife and I live full time in our 42' gulfstream RV, and at the end of the mowing season in Nov will be driving our house down to Mission Tx for the winter. We will return first of Apr to start next year mowing full time with no stress of the other "office" job.

4. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Make sure you run all the numbers. You have to figure everything. I'm sure you have, but just make sure. If it is the same as what you currently bring in then I say go for it. It is easier to grow the business if you are out there everyday.

Only you will know for sure. When ever I get in a situation like this, I go with my gut. (and do a lot of praying). If its right, you will know it. Don't rush things though, patience is a virtue.

You only live once, you have to remember that also. Some people never make that jump. You also can't let fear stop you. Easy for me to say I know. I believe if you really feel right about it,and have gods blessing. You can not fail.

Dave...

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Brad

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You don't want to bid all of your eggs on one basket,
    I personally have nothing against you or anyone else going
    full time but the move you're considering is dangerous.

But I guess I'm too late and things worked out for you :)
    Which, that's all right.

7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

So...are Herrick & Flexdeck the same person ?????????

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh... :p
    LOL!

I didn't even see that.
    There's no telling if they are or not, thou.

So my original advice stands, that is a dangerous move to put all the eggs in one basket like that.

9. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

nope,not the same person...

I'm a number cruncher at heart, so before I do anything I know I'll go over everything 4 or 5 times... and it is putting a lot of eggs in one basket... it is a two year contract though. I see it as a stepping stone to be able to make the leap to full time... otherwise I'd have to work my way up to a similar income while working the office job at the same time... that jsut doesn't sound like fun.

10. hiringus

hiringus LawnSite Member

Just remember a 2 year contract in actuality doesn't mean sh!t. If you drop the ball and they are unhappy with the results they WILL find a way out and move onto another company.